Picking a used synth

aerianne

• Members

Hey, I've been looking for a used keyboard/synth, and I've found the following following on kijiji and wanted some opinions on what would likely suit me better and whether the prices are reasonable (keep in mind these are in Canadian dollars):

Korg Triton Classic 61 - $500

Juno Stage - $800

Yamaha S03 - $300

Roland D-10 - $225

Korg M1 - $300

My budget originally was around $500 but I could probably swing the Stage.

I'm primarily a piano player but I'm looking more for a synth than a digital piano (I already have a kawai DP that I rather like). The action is somewhat important to me but I can probably learn to deal with something half decent. Ideally, I'd have like 88 keys, but I've discovered that most synths are around 61-76. I think everything I've listed is 61 keys... except the Juno Stage.

It's going to be used primarily in a band setting... likely, for live performances, only the piano patches will be used... I wanted a synth for recording etc... that'll probably be the only time I use the other patches.

Thanks!

• Members

The only mentioned synth that will probably suit you regarding piano sound is the Juno Stage.

You might also look into an Alesis Fusion 8HD, they have 88 keys that are weighted enough for piano playing, but also light enough for synth playing. The piano sounds are pretty good (at least as good as the Juno Stage I think) and it has actual virtual synthesizer engines in it (Virtual Analog and 6-operator FM) - all those you mentioned are ROMplers, meaning they are synthesizers in the sense that they have filters and envelopes, but they only play pre-recorded waves in their oscillators, which limits the synthesizer capabilities a bit. The Fusion 8HD will run you anywhere from 600 to 900 bucks depending on the deal you get, and it will be worth it if you don't mind the different type engine it has, and the fact that a lot of the better sampled sounds will come from the hard drive (meaning it has loading times, unless you know what sounds you'll use live, and you pre-load them in memory). The synthesizer sounds will always load immediately.

tl;dr version: the Juno Stage will probably give you all that you need with an easier to use interface. The Alesis Fusion 8HD would be something you'd get if you wanted to really get deeper into synth programming but still have a good piano and other sampled sounds, and an action suited both for piano and synth playing.

• Members

If you're looking for cheap piano sounds in a synth package, look for some of the Kurzweil stage piano/controllers. You might get lucky and get 88 keys with a Kurzweil triple-strike piano for ~ $600-$700. Maybe less.

Consider also the Roland JV90. Old, but an awesome sounding and feeling gigging board. Will accept an expansion card with "better" sounding pianos. Dirt cheap ~ $450 - 76 keys.

Finally, consider an Alesis QS 8.1. 88 hammer action weighted keys, cheap, okay soundset (old, though) that can be improved a little with some cheap expansion cards. I see guys around here gigging with these boards and they do the job.

• Members

Hmmm.... if you already have a digital piano you like, why not drop that requirement? Most of those options seem like mediocre romplers, than synths. You say you're "looking more for a synth"... by this what do you mean? Are you looking to program your own sounds?

Let's say you do indeed want to program your own sounds, rather than emulate realistic instruments. Then I would suggest learning from MY mistakes and getting a nice Virtual Analog synth with a decent number of knobs. The reason for this, is that extensive menu diving to program could kill your interest in programming.

A few decent inexpensive VAs: Novation KS4, Novation KStation, Korg MS2000, Roland JP8000, Alesis Ion (which I love to death but can be unreliable)... other dudes here could suggest more.

I apologize if I'm making incorrect assumptions.

Ok, so lets say you want a good piano and a good synth engine. Christianrock is probably right with his Alesis Fusion suggestion. I, too, am a fan of Kurzweils. But for that price, you're looking at maybe a k2500 or a k2000. Even the ancient k2000 has a decent (if dated) piano, and the synth engine is really, really deep and weird and beautiful. But the learning curve is HEAVY duty.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions posted!

Franz, to answer your questions - this board will primarily be staying in our band hall whereas my digital piano is actually at my house (and will be staying there since I'm working on my piano cert) - I guess in that sense, I don't actually have a DP at the hall. I just didn't see a point in owning more than one DP. This is also why my ideal budget is

And yes, I was looking to start working on programming my own sounds. Although realistically, I could probably use a computer based synth for that and any DP with a midi in/out could run off that as well?

Bah... decisions!

• Members

Canadian prices or not I think the Stage for $800 is a great buy. Although I'm not fond of the interface it really is a complete gigging tool where as the others, although cheap offer far little in terms of a complete package. With the exception of the Triton which is a great synth/workstation. But compared to 61 keys vs 76 with the stage, I think the stage will be more satisfying to gig with.

Archived