Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

question! can i use a rhodes suitcase's top only?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question! can i use a rhodes suitcase's top only?

hey!
    I have a great deal for a fender rhodes suitcase, but top only. (bottom is lost...)
    don't know if i should buy or not: problem is:

1. can i hook up a stage pedal and rod to the suitcase? will that work for sure?
    cuz can't use a rhodes with no pedal...

2. is it silly or good to use only a suitcases top? I thought they were pretty identical...
    will i be able to enjoy the vibrato effect and eq without the bottom?
    is the suitcase's top as good, less god or better than the stage?

3. I generally like the stage sounds, and like to work direct to preamp
    or through a fender twin reverb, for punchy sounds. will i get the same result with a suitcase top ?

here are some pix:
    http://www.webnoise.co.il/files/a.jpg
    http://www.webnoise.co.il/files/c.jpg
    http://www.webnoise.co.il/files/b.jpg

My local music store have used one as a workbench in their repair shop for thelast 10 years!

Comment

3. I generally like the stage sounds, and like to work direct to preamp
      or through a fender twin reverb, for punchy sounds. will i get the same result with a suitcase top ?

Yes. Use a phono plug to tap off the harp, into your effects and amp, bypassing the name rail controls. Or, replace the name rail controls with Stage style controls. With the schematic and $5 worth of parts from radio shack, you'll have passive controls.

Don't forget a decent keyboard stand that can hold 140 lbs. Good luck.
      Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.

Comment

thanks for the reply!
        the stand is indeed teriblle. it's the sellers idea, can't look at it.

seens like I'll be wating for a stage, don't wanna take this chance.
        thanks again for the pro response!

Comment

You should be able to use a heavy duty X-stand, or any heavy duty stand for that matter. If you want a real Rhodes, the price is right, and you don't mind using a Suitcase top as a Stage Rhodes, go for it. It really is the same thing.
          Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.

Comment

Working...
          X