Need help choosing the right tool

Bananagab

• Members

Hey all,

Me and a couple of friends want to start a band. Our primary inspiration is Ratatat. We have a guitarist and a bassist and we someone will have to learn to play the synthesizer.

What would you recommend to buy to a total newbie between a midi keyboard and a real synth? Furthermore, do you have any suggestion?

Thank you for your time.

• Members

Midi keyboard or controller requires something to generate the sound, eg a PC/laptop/tablet etc and software plus an amp/speaker for volume or a rack mounted synth module and amp/speaker setup.

A synth is not a piano. Looks the same, isn't. Decide if you want synth sounds of piano type sounds. Think Rick Wakeman vs Oscar Peterson in terms of playing style.

If learning from scratch, get lessons. Teach yourself piano makes about as much sense as DIY brain surgery unless you have talent (I don't) in which case, just go for it.

• Members

What sort of budget do you have for the "instrument" (midi or synth)? There are a few great synths that can be used as instruments but also synch well for MIDI in DAW composition. Personal favourite being a MicroKorg. I'm not the best key/synth player, but it's really easy to use and learn with and has amazing sound and capabilities.

Archived