YAMAHA MOX6 GENERAL INQUIRY. Sounds? Sequencer? USB? Compared to Motif xS an xF?

• Members

You may know me from my previous thread about Keyboard Workstations v. Soft-synths/Contoller...well I've just noticed the latest from Yamaha the MOX6 and am intrigued. The features seem perfect for what I want to do musically but I feel like I have some nitty-gritty I need worked out.

First off let me say that until I spotted the MOX6 while searching for Motifs on ebay, I was in the market for a used XS6 (which have been on ebay and GC.com for under $1000 lately wow!). I have owned the XS8 and decided I wanted a Motif XS over other workstations because of the gratifying sounds, interface, and overall workflow of this keyboard.

Now that I've read the specs of the MOX6 and realize that I can get a brand new one for about the same as a used Motif, I am reconsidering the whole thing!!! The following paragraph contains my questions answer as many or few as you like any help is appreciated thanks in advance:

One of the reasons I was considering soft synths in my previous thread was because I thought that if I saved some money buying a suite like SONAR I could also invest in something else I will definitely need, a USB Converter Box. But the MOX comes with a built in USB audio device. Tell me about this device, what inputs are included (any XLRs in...or will I have to plug a microphone in using 1/4"...sounds like it could be awkward?) COuld I really use the MOX6 to record vocals into Cubase? WHat about compatibility with other software besides cubase? Hows the quality on the USB audio device is it as high quality as say an MBOX. Mention any limitations of the USB audio device. Tell me about the Waveforms on the MOX6 are they all XS sounds I've heard? Or are there some newer sounds some XF sounds maybe? Is the sequencer as powerful as the Motif sequencer? WHats it like working with the smaller screen instead of the full color LCD like on the Motif. How well does the workflow/creation process translate to the smaller screen...I remember the little yellow squares grid in pattern mode on the XS...obviously this will be different on an MOX6. Are the same high quality drum kits and patterns (arpeggios that sound like various styled beats) found on the XS included? Lots of kits and those stock beats were very inspirational for me. How does the overall number of arpeggios, vopices, and drum patterns compare to the XS? Tell me as much as you can about this board. Thanks.

• Members

You have asked many detailed questions, which I cannot answer. I have a MOX6, but basically use it as a sound module. I do all of my sequencing using Digital Performer. All of my synths run into a Mackie mixer - they are recorded into my computer using a stereo M-Audio converter box. So, I am not using much of the functionality that you wish to use.

I bought the MOX6 because, I believe, it has the same sound/preset library as the XS, in a much more affordable package. Be advised that the MOX keyboards are very lightweight and "plasticky" as compared to their more expensive cousins. But they sound fantastic.

In general, I can tell you that the MOX operating system looks very much like that found in the original Motif series (I had one of these for many years). It is not especially intuitive. As a result, if you bought one of these you would likely be spending a lot of time in the manual. You can download the MOX manual here: http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/MOX6_8_OM.pdf . You might was well explore this now as it may answer a lot of your questions, and you can definitely get a feel for what it would be like to work with the MOX. Additionally, there are very knowledgeable people at the Motifator site.

FYI, in terms of audio inputs, the MOX simply has a pair of 1/4" inputs. You can apply the internal effects to the audio input, and record it into a song.

Regarding the drum kits, I believe they are the same as the XS, and I know that there are literally thousands of preset patterns in the MOX, with many of them being drum patterns. I suspect that they are the same as the ones found in the XS, but would suggest you compare specs on the two boards to be sure.

Working with the small screen on the original Motif, or the MOX, or even the much larger screen on the Korg M3 (which I used to own) was personally never of interest to me. Like I said, I work with Digital Performer on a 24" screen (and often with a second monitor). After using computer-based DAWs for so many years I just can't imagine working any other way.

• Members
  • Members

YAMAHA MOX6 GENERAL INQUIRY. Sounds? Sequencer? USB? Compared to Motif xS an xF?

Here are some answers

"But the MOX comes with a built in USB audio device. Tell me about this device, what inputs are included (any XLRs in...or will I have to plug a microphone in using 1/4"...sounds like it could be awkward?) "

The inputs to the MOX are 1/4" , if you have an analog mixer one of the easiest ways to incorporate everything in your studio together is plug everything into the analog mixer than plug the mixer into the MOX. then evything can be recorded.

"COuld I really use the MOX6 to record vocals into Cubase? "

Yes, and it comes with Cubase AI.

"WHat about compatibility with other software besides cubase? "

It has control templates for Logic, Sonar, Performer and many VSTs. although it won't aa a control surface the audio driver is an ASIo driver so it will work with Pro Tools as well for audio.

"Hows the quality on the USB audio device is it as high quality as say an MBOX. Mention any limitations of the USB audio device. "

Technically it similar to th mBOX, it will do 4 channels of audio so you can record the stereo out of the keyboard as well as the stereo analog inputs at the same time. Nice for recording every rehearsal.

"Tell me about the Waveforms on the MOX6 are they all XS sounds I've heard?"

Yes , all the sounds and Voices of the Motif XS are included and some new Performances.

"Or are there some newer sounds some XF sounds maybe? "

No.

" Is the sequencer as powerful as the Motif sequencer? "

It is the technically the same, but also includes a step recorder which is not found in the XS.

"WHats it like working with the smaller screen instead of the full color LCD like on the Motif. How well does the workflow/creation process translate to the smaller screen...I remember the little yellow squares grid in pattern mode on the XS...obviously this will be different on an MOX6. "

You should try this for yourself as this is a very subjective question.

"Are the same high quality drum kits and patterns (arpeggios that sound like various styled beats) found on the XS included? Lots of kits and those stock beats were very inspirational for me. How does the overall number of arpeggios, vopices, and drum patterns compare to the XS? "

Yes , and it features Direct Performance Recording like the XS so it's easy to record Performances into the Pattern or Song sequencer to start a production.

The wave forms and voices are exactly the same. The one large difference is the number of simultaneous insert effects which is smaller than the XS. However it sounds like you are going to use the computer and record audio for creating tracks so that should not effect you as much. just turn on the Inserts for the track you are recording.

Hope that helps !

• Members

Wow, Athan Biilias...you sure know how to answer a string of pretty nitty-gritty questions! Your post has me convinced that the MOX is definitely a workstation solution I will need to try out at Guitar Center although I am tempted to just order one today. Since the MOX has all the sounds and arpeggio patterns as the XS, PLUS the USB audio device, I will save $$$ buying one of these newer keyboards over a used Motif XS6 (and the USB device and software I would need to buy with the MOTIF in order to record live instruments and vocals!). You're right about the insert effects, I can add effects per instrument track once I get everything recorded and sequenced in Cubase! I guess the only real difference will be the LCD, a difference I can examine down at my local Guitar Center. I love the Motif XS series, and yea I'd like the big colorful LCD, but it sounds like the features and pricepoint of the MOX6 are just too much in line with my needs and budget. Thanks for the help. C

• Members

Just as a summary question for this thread, If I could buy a USED Yamaha Motif XS6 for the same price as a NEW Yamaha MOX, which would you guys reccomend?

Consider that I love to sequence on my workstation, and love high quality sounds.

I've read elsewhere (thanks, DINpluggedIN) that the major differences are the lack of sampler, aftertouch, and having "MOTIF" written on your keyboard! A few people have said there are slight differences in sound quality with the MOX sounding more mid-rangey, less "pure"...

• Members

Just as a summary question for this thread,
If I could buy a USED Yamaha Motif XS6 for the same price as a NEW Yamaha MOX, which would you guys reccomend?

Consider that I love to sequence on my workstation, and love high quality sounds.

I've read elsewhere (thanks, DINpluggedIN) that the major differences are the lack of sampler, aftertouch, and having "MOTIF" written on your keyboard! A few people have said there are slight differences in sound quality with the MOX sounding more mid-rangey, less "pure"...

Of course "lack of sampler" means no ability to load new waveforms. If you're happy with those that come in the ROM, that isn't a problem.

Also, as long as your sequences don't require a lot of simultaneous notes (including not using much sustain), the 64-note poly of the MOX versus 128-note of the XS shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, consider an XS.

MOX8 Review:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/yamaha-mox8/5809

• Members

Also remember that the keybed on the XS is noticeably better than that found on the MOX keyboards. Also, as previously noted, the MOX boards are virtually all plastic and have a very lightweight feel as opposed to the XS and other regular Motif instruments. The lightweight part is good whenever you move the keyboard around, but the MOX6 is also so light that it can move around on the stand when I play it. The MOX6 only weighs 15 lbs, while the XS6 weighs double that - 32 lbs.

The lightweight, plastic nature of the MOX boards could cause some people to question their build quality. I have not gigged with my MOX6, but would happily do so if the opportunity came along. They seem to be very well made, regardless of the materials.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I want to know how to transfer a sequence from a Roland W-30 to the MOX6.  I assume I need to use the right Quick Setup.  I need to slave the MOX6 and set receive sync to multirecord, though I don't know how to do that.  I want to connect a midi cable between the two, put mox in record and start the Roland to dump the sequence to the mox.  Should not be that hard but I find nothing about it in the manuals (hard copy and CD).  Can anyone help me out?  Thanks

Archived