Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Picking The Right Synth

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking The Right Synth

I wrote an article about the ins and outs of picking a synth that is right for you. I'd love to get the opinions of you synth-heads. Check it out at www.syntorial.com/article_pick.php

I don't know if it's the background color or the font or the spacing or a combination and more than likely, my old eyes do not help at all, but for me at least that is just too hard to read unless I get really close to the screen and squint at it. I can read pretty much anything on the screen from where I sit but not that. As a result I did not read it, sorry.
    Last edited by the_big_e; 08-13-2014, 02:09 PM.
    The further away I am, the better I sound....

Comment

Originally posted by the_big_e View Post
      I don't know if it's the background color or the font or the spacing or a combination and more than likely, my old eyes do not help at all, but for me at least that is just too hard to read unless I get really close to the screen and squint at it. I can read pretty much anything on the screen from where I sit but not that. As a result I did not read it, sorry.

I agree, very hard on my (55 year old) eyes as well.
      Korg Kronos 61 :: Korg M3-73 Xpanded (w/Radias board) :: Behringer B212A Powered Speaker :: Variax 300 Sunburst :: PODx3 Live! :: Epiphone Acoustic Guitar :: Mandolin :: Steinberg Cubase 7.5 :: Omnisphere :: Trilian :: V-Collection :: Korg Legacy Collection :: SampleTank 2 XL :: Sonik Synth 2 :: Ravenscroft Piano :: Komplete 9 Ultimate :: VB3 :: Just Way Too Many VST's

Comment

I was able to read the article and found it informative for a noob. I would revisit the Bread & Butte section as what you describe is more of a subtractive synth as opposed to a ROMpler which is what most of us here would consider a bread & butter synth. ROMplers give you basic pianos, ep's, drums, bass, strings, leads, pads, guitars, brass, etc. all in one place as opposed to what you described as being a bread & butter synth. ROMplers are the Motif's and the Kronos's, and the FA-06/08's and the Kurzweils. If your aspirations are to be a "keyboard player", then I see a ROMpler as a necessity. You should also have a synth as well. On the other hand, and maybe this is where I'm confused, if you want to be a "synthesis" or "sound designer", then your advice is valid although the wording of "bread & butter" could be misunderstood.

BTW - I'm really enjoying your syntorial lessons and thought you did a good job of keeping your affiliation out of the article.
        Korg Kronos 61 :: Korg M3-73 Xpanded (w/Radias board) :: Behringer B212A Powered Speaker :: Variax 300 Sunburst :: PODx3 Live! :: Epiphone Acoustic Guitar :: Mandolin :: Steinberg Cubase 7.5 :: Omnisphere :: Trilian :: V-Collection :: Korg Legacy Collection :: SampleTank 2 XL :: Sonik Synth 2 :: Ravenscroft Piano :: Komplete 9 Ultimate :: VB3 :: Just Way Too Many VST's

Comment

Originally posted by the_big_e View Post
          Several people have mentioned that. I think it's the gradient background, so I removed it. Would you mind taking another look just to see if it's easier to read?

Comment

Originally posted by midinut View Post
            I was able to read the article and found it informative for a noob. I would revisit the Bread & Butte section as what you describe is more of a subtractive synth as opposed to a ROMpler which is what most of us here would consider a bread & butter synth. ROMplers give you basic pianos, ep's, drums, bass, strings, leads, pads, guitars, brass, etc. all in one place as opposed to what you described as being a bread & butter synth. ROMplers are the Motif's and the Kronos's, and the FA-06/08's and the Kurzweils. If your aspirations are to be a "keyboard player", then I see a ROMpler as a necessity. You should also have a synth as well. On the other hand, and maybe this is where I'm confused, if you want to be a "synthesis" or "sound designer", then your advice is valid although the wording of "bread & butter" could be misunderstood.

BTW - I'm really enjoying your syntorial lessons and thought you did a good job of keeping your affiliation out of the article.
            That's a good point. I am just referring to synths, not ROMplers, but now that you mention it, I myself have referred to those as bread and butter. I need a better name...

Comment

Still very hard on my eyes, must be the font or the color or just that combination.
              I've copied the text into notepad. I'll read it later.
              The further away I am, the better I sound....

Comment

Working...
              X