No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by HaloRecordings
    View Post

... But when I go straight into my amp, it doesn't sound as good. I'm thinking this has to do with using the headphone out into and amp. Wrong impedance or something. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

I'm not sure about the PX4, but on the PX5D you can switch the output from Amp to Line:

[page 32 in the manual]

Jon Chappell
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
    Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

Would the px5d be able to simulate a dotted 8th slapback delay? I guess I'm thinking about U2/Edge type sound.

Actually, does the px4d even have the same setting?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitar_pic
        View Post

Would the px5d be able to simulate a dotted 8th slapback delay? I guess I'm thinking about U2/Edge type sound.

Actually, does the px4d even have the same setting?

guitar_pic, I just responded to your P.M., so forgive me if I copy and past the answer here, for others who might be wondering the same thing:

It so happens I'm kind of an expert on the DDL dotted-8th technique. Check out my article here, complete with sheet music and audio examples:

http://http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/ddl_cascade/

To answer your question about the PX5D, you have to tap in the dotted-8th rhythm manually; there's not subdivide function like there is on other pedals. (And you can't use the footpedal for tapping on the PX5D, either.) So tap your foot in quarter notes, tap the dotted-8th rhythm into the machine with your finger, and then play eighth notes against the (still-steady, foot-tapping) beat. That's how you do it.

Let me know if this helps.
        Jon Chappell
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
        Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

I bought the PX5D a few days ago and is still going through all the features.

What I'd like to get clarification is whether there is a relationship between the preset programs and 7 effects? Let's say, as a bass player, I choose the program "P72 B Jazz", what would happen to the effects? Would the program pre-determines certain settings for each of the 7 effects? Or did I misunderstood the purpose of the programs altogether? If yes, when do I use the programs? Thanks.

Comment

This is multi-effect is great value for price, I highly recommend!
            Gienga Do-It-Yourself Learning
            Unique Gift Newborn
            Unique Gift Children
            Dog Allergies

Comment

The unit in fact ships with a footpedal adapter that allows you to plug in a footpedal to switch between presets. Has anyone used this, and does anyone have any more info on exactly what type or model of 3rd-party footpedal will work with the unit?

Still scratching the surface on this puppy....
              Guitars: Gretsch Hotrod, PRS Custom, Martin D16, Strat, etc....
              Amps: Rivera Suprema 55, Roland JC-77, etc
              Hardware/Software: Focusrite Saffire PRO, Cubase Studio 4

Comment

Not sure now they compare, but it looks very similar to my MicroBR by Boss. Which for a little less money is really awesome too. I love mine. More than just an FX/Rythm box, the BR is a multi-track recording studio as well.

If buying - look into it for comparison.
                Taylor T5 & Walnut solid body
                Strats (Mayer signiture & Ash Dlx)
                Frelightlight / Gibson Les Paul Custom
                Mesa Boogie, LoneStar Special
                Toneport UX8, GuitarPort, Pod XTL
                Variax 700 electric
                Alesis powered monitors /DM5 elec drums
                Boss Micro BR / Fender 600 / MicroCube /Acoustisonic
                Pedals: Twin tube, Blues breaker, Vocalist4, JM4
                Harmonyman, GNX4 & more
                -GEEZE I need to sell some stuff.

Comment

IMHO, the most useful feature Korg could of included in this unit is the ability for the user to program their own drum patterns & bass lines/progressions for practice or composition - either via midi data and/or loops. Chaining a limited selection of lame drum loops together isn't "drum machine style" as the PR hacks call it. Excluding cheesy organ percussion & the CR78, the majority of 1980's drum machines had way more programmability! This is like Ford selling a car advertised as having a "gasoline-driven style motor" that comes with a steam engine powered by a gas fired boiler.

Why didn't Korg do this? Perhaps:

- they're completely out of touch with the market place (very unlikely)

- they're running out of ideas for "improvements" & decided to wait another two or three iterations prior to including this feature on a Pandora.

- they don't want to add features which might make the unit compete against another Korg product niche.

- who knows????????

Comment

When you compare the PX5D with Korg's own AX3G, AX5G, Digitech RP series, Boss GT and ME series, Zoom G1 and G2 series, Line6 FloorPOD and PODxtLive and PODx3Live, you can tell that it is not geared for live use like those other floor multi-effects. It's a tiny practice/recording device (which is why you can't program the drums, it'd have to be bigger for one thing). For live use, get a floor processor, there is quite a selection nowadays.

I'm thinking that they left out drum programming because it is NOT a Boss BR type device. It doesn't record by itself (as it's predecessor did) and most recording software you would use it with has some form of drum/loop programming. I agree that it would be nice to have the ability to program your own drum patterns, but I think they just really wanted to focus on the practice aspect, while adding the USB connectivity to "keep up with the Joneses".

FWIW My PX-2 sounds much better through computer speakers than through my guitar amp.
                    "Stiny! Get me a danish!"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MudFlaps-1
                      View Post

...I'm thinking that they left out drum programming because it is NOT a Boss BR type device...I agree that it would be nice to have the ability to program your own drum patterns, but I think they just really wanted to focus on the practice aspect, while adding the USB connectivity to "keep up with the Joneses".

Yeah, I've got to agree with you there. I don't know that drum programability would be that much fun on such a tiny device. Useful? Sure, at times. Having said that, I've found the drum loops and basslines on the Px4D to be well into "good enough" territory for my purposes. The thing is still a blast.
                      We need to talk about your flair.

Comment

Hi, I realize I'm a little late weighing in on this thread, but.........

I am a new PX5D owner and actually am quite happy with it, except for one MAJOR problem I am hoping there is a solution to. There is a pronounced hiss whenever I strike a note on my guitar, so loud that it makes the unit just about unusable in any situation. I've tried different eq settings, different input/output settings, but all to no avail. Apparently, the hissing problem is inherent with a lot of digital effects units, but the demo video I watched on youtube had absolutely no hissing.

And when I conect the unit to my computer to use the sound editor, there is a constant buzz whenever I turn the volume up.

What can I do to eliminate this hiss and buzz? Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Thank you very much,

Lee

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by santos
                          View Post

Yeah, I've got to agree with you there. I don't know that drum programability would be that much fun on such a tiny device. Useful? Sure, at times.

I have an earlier iteration of the Pandora. It does, indeed, have its uses. When I travel I take it and a speedster guitar along with a cord and headphones. All of this fits quite easily into my duffle or suitcase and the space they take up is negligible.

Comment

I have had a number of different types of mfx units. I have had a few drum machines from Boss and Zoom and I numerous pedals on my board...including loopers and trainers.

My PX5D is one of the best units I have owned and it will be with me for a long time. The functionality is perfect for my lower volume home practice on timing, playing along with mp3 player (or from my Tascam DR-1 from rehersals) and sounds great into headphones, acoustic amp, or even guitar amp (usually best into effects return...bypassing preamp stage).

It is clear and effects sound great, NR is there if needed, and the computer interface is awesome as well. And to boot you can power from computer or USB power supply or hub. I have not tried it direct into soundboard at church (since I like control of my monitor) but I am sure it would sound very nice live in that setting as well.

Big kudos to Korg on this one.

AND I traded a $100 pedal for my PX5D...so that was another bonus...but worth the $250 they go for!

Ken

Comment

Hi everyone Im new here and fairly new on the guitar. I just bought a px5d i have to say that I really love it. I had a zoom g2.1u but it wasnt nearly as easy to use and the fact that the display simply had a number but there was no list in the manual to let you know what type of sound the corresponded to the number consequently I never used it much so I sold it on ebay and it paid for half of the px5.

As a relative beginer the PX5 is 100 times easier to use. I have only used the presets and they are great. I just select whokids and im pete townsend playing the kids are alright (its a nice world my world). or Floyd and im dave gilmour. I play through a humble marshall mg30dfx and the px5 makes it sound good it is has given my learning a new boost of encouragement by getting a sound much closer to the original recording.

The reason I bought it was that it was recommended to me by someone much better than me at guitar. I havent really seen the line 6 pod range up close but the one thing that it seems tohave in its favour is the vast collection of user defined programs that are available which dont seem to be available for the korg (maybe someone could point me in the direction of a site if there is such a thing).

I have never played live so I wouldnt really know how good it would be with the pedals. But you cant expect a multifx unit like this to give the same vesatility as 6 or 7 stomp boxes when it barely costs as much as 2 pedals.

Anyway overall verdict 81/2 out of 10

Comment

I got a PX5D last week, and have been enjoying a PX4B for about a year. It was a great "upgrade", and has some interesting new effects & drum rhythms, but what's so cool is the USB hook-up. Being able to program the bass/drum patterns and the sounds on the computer is the ultimate.

Comment

Working...
                                X