Convert Home Theater to a PA/DJ system

mukul

• Members

Hello guys,

I have a Bose Lifestyle V20 Home Theater System in my basement. I want to hookup an external mic to this system so that I can address people present in the hall during a party and then switch it to play music using a computer or mp3 player. I have an external mic and was trying to find out ways to hook it up to the home theater. After doing some investigation I found out that buying a mixer would help. I am confused what kind of mixer should be appropriate for this purpose.

Can anyone please guide me if I am on the right path and what all I should buy to satisfy this requirement.

Thanks,

Mukul [h=1][/h]

• Members

Well any small 4 channel Mackie or Behringer mixer will have the needed outs to get the signal into the Bose receiver. Basically signal flows like this:

Mic is connected to the Xlr cable.

Xlr cable is connected to the mixer.

The mixer uses the trim/gain knob to set the level of the mic for it's preamp.

The channels fader is then raised up to center detent.

The master level of the mixer is then risen to desired output level.

The mixer before all this should be connected to the Bose receiver via an RCA cable that goes from the mixers rec out into a Bose input.

The master and channel levels on the mic mixer will adjust the needed levels through the Bose PA.

• Members

Thank you so much for your response. Following is what I bought from Amazon.

1) Mixer - Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQs

2) From Mixer to Home theater - Hosa Cable CPR202 Dual 1/4 Inch To RCA Cable.

3) From MP3 player to Mixer - Hosa CMP153 Y Cable 1/8 Inch TRS to Dual 1/4 Inch TS Cable.

I will post a feedback in a couple of days about the results of the system.

Archived