OT - Drivers Install For Sat Nav

Mark L

• Members

Having a spot of trouble with this, so I'm wondering if you folks can help

I bought a TomTom Go 50 sat nav yesterday and the drivers won't install. I've tried going to 'device manager' and doing it that way, but no go

Could it be that I still have Windows 7? I'm on the waiting list for the free upgrade to Windows 10. Do you think I'll have more luck when that's installed?

• CMS Author

Are you talking about the Tom Tom Home application? I don't recall any drivers, but then my Tom Tom GPS is at least 5 years old.

Is Windows giving you any explanation for why the installation didn't work? Some Windows 7 programs (installers, for instance) won't run unless you have administrator access. If you right-click on the installer file you'll get a pop-up menu that includes a choice for "Run as administrator" or something like that. See if that works.

I figure that Windows 10 will be more troublesome than Windows 7, just on general principles.

• Members

No, it's just the driver installation, Mike

When I plug the sat nav into my laptop, a small icon appears at the bottom right. It has a red cross on it and says 'Device driver software was not successfully installed'

On the TomTom website it recommends a certain course of action if this sort of thing happens. I followed the instructions to the letter, but at the last stage it fails

I've actually emailed TomTom and am awaiting their reply. But in the meantime I thought I'd pick the collective SSS brain

Archived