Once a software category - now pretty much gone...

spokenward

• Members

Does anybody remember software like Aldus Fetch?

It was designed for people doing production work with media files, mostly image and eps and illustrator, but it could also handle audio and midi.

The program made it possible to scan a rich environment of media and cues to assist in locating and categorizing media assets. Sort of like Picasa but a little bit more database like.

What replaced that category? I am sure that there are probably server apps performing this function. Is anybody doing this sort of thing in Plone? Any ideas? I've got a zillion audio files, midi, pdfs, text cues, xml files. I'm swamped.

Pat

• Members

Not sure what's available these days specifically, but the area of Digital Asset Management Systems seem to be geared towards image files and enterprise level. I'm involved with a project that's kicking off to upgrade or replace our existing system - if anything seems appropriate for audio, I'll let ya know.

Aldus was eaten by Adobe years ago, btw. They killed Photostyler, which I much preferred to Photoshop.

• Members

Yeah, I really liked Photostyler too.

Adobe has become this decades' Xerox - - buy up good software and small companies, then turn them into a inefficient hydra-headed monstrosities... It's a lot easier than actually being creative, and (for a while) the stockholders will be fooled into thinking that something positive is happening...

Archived