Sony MDR-V6 v. MDR 7506?

DennisDD

• Members

Christmas present options:

I used a pair of Sony MDR-V6 phones for 20 years (they finally gave out) and I trusted them for tracking and mixing. They still make them.

The MDR-7506 seems to be the new and superceding version. Does anybody have experience with both sets? How do they compare?

Thanks

Dennis

http://cdbaby.com/cd/dennisdoyle2

• 3 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

They're essentially the same phones, just sold through different marketing channels. Once I tried them side by side and they sounded close enough so that I wouldn't choose one over the other.

They have a new headphone in the series, the 7509, that's less peaky than the 7506. It's better for extended listening and it's likely to give you a more balanced mix if you have to mix on headphones, but it doesn't emphasize the problems with microphones and mic positions (in other words, mistakes) that the 7506 does. So if you've learned how to do it right during those 20 years that you've been using MDR-V6 phones, you might be ready for a smoother, flatter, and more accurate headphone.

The 7509 is more expensive than the 7506, and I think they brought it out with the idea in mind that people who use their serious PCM-D1 field recorder and need an accurate monitoring method for judging its placement it (with its built-in mics) when they can't monitor on speakers.

A lot of people who have been using the Sony 7506 phones because there was nothing better for what they do have lately been raving about the new Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, but I expect it's quite a different sound that what you're used to hearing. You might want to give them a try and see if it's time for a change.

Archived