An important point about lyric/songwrighting

Phil02

• Members

If you think about it as long as the rhymes are not totally lame and such the only thing that is important is the ability for the listener to understand what words you are saying. If you listen to the radio you can easily decipher most of the words the singer says. That causes the listener to remember the song and possibly buy the album. They dont really care too much about imagery (sp along with 50%of the other words, sorry :) ) as long as the music is catchy and the lyrics are understable and not sung slow. Of coarse there are many exceptions, but this might be a new way to look at the techinque of songwrighting.

• Members

I don't think the ability to understand a person's lyrics is as important as you may think though. There's several songs that I love and know the lyrics to because I've listened to them so much, but at first I had no idea what they were saying.

That new song by the white stripes. I dig it, but I have no idea what that guy is talking about.

MMbop by Hanson. #1 for weeks. completely unintelligible gibberish.

• Members

I find that I don't listen to lyrics, I don't know 'all' the lyrics of most of my favourite songs. I definately never analyse anything.

That being said, I do like the lyrics to be intelligable.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Phil02

but this might be a new way to look at the techinque of songwrighting.

its guys like you that help maintain the low standards of pop music that is played on the radio..

Archived