export bass sound Part II

mraia1

• Members

So, I took everyones advice and got a PS3 batter head so I could get a deeper, boomier bass drum sound. I had been using a powersonic.

So now with the PS3 Im getting a ringing, almost vibrating sound and feel.

1) If I put a little pillow in there, will it cut down the volume?

2) should the reso be tighter or looser than the batter?

3) drum dial settings?

Thanks boys!

• Members

a bit, sure. If I'm stuffing a BD with something I use an ugly shirt. preferably somebody else's.

yes. (I usually go tighter though)

3) drum dial settings?

nope.

• Members

a bit, sure. If I'm stuffing a BD with something I use an ugly shirt. preferably somebody else's.

yes. (I usually go tighter though)

3) drum dial settings?

nope.

maybe I'll stick some underwear in there...:facepalm:

• Members

mraia, if yer playing out unmiked, you want that sustain. It's what lets the bass drum be heard. You don't hear the sustain from the audience, you just hear a nice, loud bass drum.

Both my and the kid's kits are PS3s front and rear, no ports and nothing in the drums. I tune the reso up to where it begins to make a real tone with some sustain. This is definitely above JAW but not by a ton. Then I tune the batter a little higher.

If you keep going on the batter, the more tension you give it the more attack and less sustain you'll get. You can pretty much dial it in.

If yer miked you'll want to cut some of the sustain. That's when you can think about stuffing.

• Members

mraia, if yer playing out unmiked, you
want
that sustain. It's what lets the bass drum be heard. You don't hear the sustain from the audience, you just hear a nice, loud bass drum.

Both my and the kid's kits are PS3s front and rear, no ports and nothing in the drums. I tune the reso up to where it begins to make a real tone with some sustain. This is definitely above JAW but not by a ton. Then I tune the batter a little higher.

If you keep going on the batter, the more tension you give it the more attack and less sustain you'll get. You can pretty much dial it in.

If yer miked you'll want to cut some of the sustain. That's when you can think about stuffing.

Ahhhh....ok. Thats good info, Dad. I didnt realize that about the sustain, but it makes a lot of sense.

Good man. Thanks for that!

• Members

you can also use a thin strip of felt underneath the head and off center. Cost around 40 cents for the fabric. I do this to my unported fiberskyn reso, gives it a rounder sustain cutting out the highs. My 18" coated ps3 batter is dialed around 75, reso about the same. I tune this for jazz and funk so it's tight and punchy. Anytime you put something in the shell remember that you will be lowering the pitch as well.

Archived