Craigslist Slingerland Score

towndog

• Members

Hey all

I mentioned a few days ago that I bought a set of Slingerlands from Craigslist. The Kick (16X26) and the Floor Tom (20X18 - 4 legs) have Niles badges.

The toms do not have badges. The inside of the 12" tom has NOV 1965

stamped on the inside.

The 13" shell is different than the rest. I've attached a photo of the kit

and the inside of the 13" shell.

Anyone have an idea what I have?

I originally was just going to keep the kick and

sell the floor and rack toms but now am debating recovering them all. Just not sure how practical it will be to use and haul around a 20" floor.

• Members

{censored}, those look pretty sweet towndog. Whatks not practical about hauling around the 18" FT? I'd bet with the right head combo and tuning, it's a cannon.

Can't help ya on identification though. Probably LFG can. Or, go to. www.georgesdrumshop.com;

Then go to his vintage site on there and post the pic's under the Slingerland forum. They'll tell ya.

Marko

• Members

Your 12" tom is the desirable 3-ply shell of a 60s Slingerland. The kick and floor appear to be late 70s, possibly right before the Niles badges went away. The 13 (and 12? pics don't show) have Ludwig Modular mounting hardware on them -- a real shame, but understandable since lots of guys retrofitted their older style hardware to the more "modern" stuff like Modular and Memrilock. At first glance I can't tell much about that 13 shell -- it could be a much older Slingerland or possibly not a Slingerland at all.

• Members

Not much to add beyong lfg's post, but I have learned mid '60's Slingerland ride toms did not have badges. Nice kit and given it's cobbling together and probable extra holes from the tom mounts a good candidate for a rewrap.

• Members

Not much to add beyong lfg's post, but I have learned mid '60's Slingerland ride toms did not have badges. Nice kit and given it's cobbling together and probable extra holes from the tom mounts a good candidate for a rewrap.

Not to disagree too strongly, but it's generally the earlier 60s toms that didn't have badges. I just sold a Slingy kit not too long ago from 1965 and it had badges originally on the ride toms, they had been removed by someone along the way though. One was still with the kit, so all was well. The floor tom had a badge.

Agreed -- rewrap in your color of choice! I say GREEN SPARKLE!

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I had contacted Vintage Drum Forum as SlapHappy

suggested.

I had a reply that stated that prior to 1962 the toms did not have badges.

A little confusing since the 12" has 1965 stamped on the inside.

Vintage Drum Forum concurred with Loss estimate that the kick and toms were part of a set from the 70's.

The 12" Tom was thought to be from the 60's.

And the 13" with the HUGE rerings was said to be very old possibly going

back to the early 1940's - Radio King.

So - even though I don't have much use for a 20" Floor I'm thinking I

will keep all drums and do a rewrap project.

Funny you mentioned Green Sparkle. I was actually thinking Green Glass Glitter.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I had contacted Vintage Drum Forum as SlapHappy

suggested.

I had a reply that stated that prior to 1962 the toms did not have badges.

A little confusing since the 12" has 1965 stamped on the inside.

Vintage Drum Forum concurred with Loss estimate that the kick and toms were part of a set from the 70's.

The 12" Tom was thought to be from the 60's.

And the 13" with the HUGE rerings was said to be very old possibly going

back to the early 1940's - Radio King.

So - even though I don't have much use for a 20" Floor I'm thinking I

will keep all drums and do a rewrap project.

Funny you mentioned Green Sparkle. I was actually thinking Green Glass Glitter.

DING DING DING -- three points for me. LOL!

Since the 12" tom says 1965, it's pretty obvious that's when it was made -- I'm sure someone took off the badge at some point. Don't ask me why, it happened a lot. I mentioned that the 13 could be a much older Slingerland, so yeah.

Here's my thought on the 20 -- why not get some wood hoops and Ts and claws and make a bass drum out of it? Get yourself a 14 or 16 floor tom shell to go with it, and you'll have 12, 13, 14 or 16, 20, and 26 -- more than enough drums to do any kind of gig or play any kind of music. Wrap them all the same and you'll be looking good too!

I like glass glitter, but in green I like the aluminum flake sparkle better -- it's green-er. If you were going to do red or blue I would definitely say glass. If my current Ludwig kit had been a brand new purchase I was going to get green sparkle, but happened upon some silver pieces I couldn't pass up, so silver sparkle it is. At least they go with everything!

• Members

Not to disagree too strongly, but it's generally the earlier 60s toms that didn't have badges.

No sweat, still learning - thanks. I was looking at early 60's Slingy's when my kit shopping abruptly stopped :cool:

• 3 years later...

Archived