Inspecting your equipment

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspecting your equipment

My wife and I are moving to a new apartment, which means I recently needed to pack up my drums. As I was putting the snare in a bag, I noticed a little rust spot on one of the tension rods. It isn't anything major, but I had never seen it before. Then it dawned on me that I should probably inspect my equipment regularly: give everything a quick inspection everytime I pack it up for something. (This doesn't happen too often, so maybe I should do a periodic inspection anyways).

Does anybody do this? How often?

"If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Normally I do this when I replace heads on the drums.

great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

• FitchFY
      FitchFY commented
      Editing a comment
      I really don't do this often enough. I normally give everything a once-over when I change up heads, and that's like every other year or so. Maybe less!

My hardware, especially bass drum pedal, probably sees the most TLC since I use it at every gig and have taken to greasing the bearings and springs for smooth control.

I generally give my stuff a once over at least twice a year, or more often when I change heads.

"If you can't SAY something with your instrument, try sellin' cars."-
    The late, great Tony Williams

— Sonor Designer Maple shell (heavy) 8 pc. for studio
    — Premier Genista 7 pc. for live gigs
    — Tama Silverstar "Metro" 4pc. for certain live gigs.
    — Paiste, Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals, depending on what I'm doin'.
    — Small collection of assorted snare drums to suit my mood.