New Alesis ModFx for DJ's

BmoreTele

• Members

I've seen these Alesis ModFx advertised since January 2002, but they never seemed to show up in a store. I wrote to several big online dealers and to Alesis. Finally I got an answer:

"Thank you for your message dated March 4, 2003, regarding the release date on ModFX, our new line of digital effects processors. I'll be happy to respond to your message, but I kindly request that you bear with me for a moment while I wipe the egg from my face! There is no denying that the situation concerning the availability of our ModFX line has been very embarrassing, to say the least. Believe me, this is not the fault of our dealers; the blame lies solely on us, I'm sorry to say. Trust me, we not exactly proud about the situation!

"I can say, however, that Alesis has built and enjoys a sterling reputation in our trade for producing high performance, value-packed products, and for providing outstanding customer service. We never could have reached this position if the ModFX situation was an example of how we do things. You can believe me when I say we are very disappointed in how long it has taken us to get these very cool and unique devices to market.

"There is not one simple explanation for the delay. However, part of the reason is due to the fact that when the units were first introduced, in January of 2002, they were part of a very extensive product launch involving well over 20 new products. Based on a very serious demand for some of these other products, which required more emphasis from our engineering and production staff, the ModFX line was being pushed back, not deliberately by any means, but just because there was so much on our plate. But in any event, I am very pleased to tell you that we are very, very close to getting seven (7) of the 14 pieces to market. The latest word is that the units will be shipping to dealers before the end of this month, so we're almost there, finally. Waiting is very frustrating, but if you can hang on a bit longer your patience will be rewarded, as the ModFX are pretty cool.

"Thanks again for your message and interest interest in our products.

Sincerely,

John Grandinetti

Alesis Western Regional Sales Manager "

These look to be aimed at the DJ market, I am interested in these products, especially since they claim to offer beat synced modulation. (Watch out Roger Linn!)

Let's see if they show up this time.

Nastify - 6 types of distortion modeling

Metavox - vocoder with beat synced internal/external synths

Bitrman - comp, distortion, dual phase, digital manipulation.

Fidelity X - simulates tape, vinyl, radio, megaphone, telephone, and digital.

Vertigo - Leslie sim

Koruz - modulated chorus

Faze - phaser with modulation, beat synced

Phlnjr - beat synced flange with modulation

Smashup - 5 types of compression

Philtre - beat synced resonant filter

Lymitre - 2 band limiter with look ahead

Formantz - vocal formant filter generator

Ampliton - beat synced tremolo and autopan

Spectron - bass/treble enhancer

all in stereo

At $100 a pop this could get expensive