Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockabilly pickups for URB.

I need to get one. I play on very loud stages.

I've been thinking about the K&K Bass Master RB PLUS

Does anyone have experience with this?

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks.
    mikgag's inaugural "That was ****************ing useless" award
    Fitz's Kickass Avatar Award 6/26/07
    President of the Official HCBF Scrawny Bassists Club
    "Playing a Jazz with the chromie covers on is like trying to work around a chastity belt." - SolderJunkie
    "I think if you had a real sexual deviant in front of you, not only would you cower in fear, they'd whip you if you didn't." - t3ch
    "STFF wins the "Happiest Drunk on Planet Earth award" - Hearater

You know, I had that one before my dollhead and I thought it was just fine. You can do a lot more with the dollhead of course, but KK rockabilly was great for what it was.
    Anything typed in pink is a drunk post and should not be taken seriously

Originally Posted by lug

I have two identical very early model T40's because I'm twice the man most of you are. Hell, I'm probably twice the woman some of our forumites are as well!

tunes

Comment

I'd love a Dollhead, but that is far out of my price range.

Maybe King needs an endorsee here in Utah!

I got the chance to play a King with a dollhead a couple years ago. It was before they were released, and this one was a prototype. It was very cool.
      "Playing a Jazz with the chromie covers on is like trying to work around a chastity belt." - SolderJunkie
      "I think if you had a real sexual deviant in front of you, not only would you cower in fear, they'd whip you if you didn't." - t3ch

Comment

I use a Stringcharger mag pickup with the K & K two-channel preamp and a piezo drum trigger for click.

We have a VERY loud show, and the piezo bridge pickups were a feedback-disaster.
        "HC is dead, long live HC!!!..."

Comment

Anyone ever tried this?

KRIVO Magnetic Pickup for Upright Bass EBONY color

YUM!!!
          Tastes just like
          Genuine Grade "A" Dark Amber
          Pure Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

Comment

Anyone ever tried this?

Looks like a copy of my Stringcharger...

Comment

Anyone ever tried this?

I was planning on building something like that myself. I have an old P pickup that I was gonna mount onto the end of the fingerboard. I don't know how it would sound, but I already have the pup, so why not give it a try? Maybe this long weekend I'll get around to it.

Comment

I was planning on building something like that myself. I have an old P pickup that I was gonna mount onto the end of the fingerboard. I don't know how it would sound, but I already have the pup, so why not give it a try? Maybe this long weekend I'll get around to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you have to stay with steel strings with a mag pickup? Seems like playing slap would tear your hands up quicker.
                1975 Gibson Grabber
                2002 G&L L-2000
                2001 SWR Mo'Bass
                Ampeg 610
                MXR M-80

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/72-Parasite.mp3

Comment

• surfinbela
                  surfinbela commented
                  Editing a comment

Hi there,

you don't necessarily have to use steel strings - they may be plastic core but metal wound with magnetic properties. I'm violinist & viola player and I'm using a REBO magnetic pickup (also available for doublebass), playing C & G Thomastik Dominant strings (plastic core) These strings have an even stronger output than steel ropecore strings, because of the bigger diameter of the metal "tube" the windings form on the plastic core.

Cheers

Uli

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you have to stay with steel strings with a mag pickup? Seems like playing slap would tear your hands up quicker.

Yes you would need steel strings. Luckily, I use steel strings and I've built up monster callouses. I ordered some of those weedwacker things, but they have been sitting in the bag for 2 months. I have yet to try them out. But, I've got 2 URBs, so one of them will get the weedwackers, the other will get the mag pup.

Experiments are fun.

Someday I'll be able to afford a real pup system for my URB. Until then, I'm gonna stick with the Violin pickup and preamp that I've been using for years.

Comment

I can't grow a beard, so I play steel strings to prove my man-i-tude

Comment

I can't grow a beard, so I play steel strings to prove my man-i-tude

lol

Comment

Been thinking the same thing. Have a DiMarzio Split-P sitting around. It's a rail-type winding, so pole spacing won't be an issue.

Pics and review when you're done, mmm-kay?
                      YUM!!!
                      Tastes just like
                      Genuine Grade "A" Dark Amber
                      Pure Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

Comment

Been thinking the same thing. Have a DiMarzio Split-P sitting around. It's a rail-type winding, so pole spacing won't be an issue.

Pics and review when you're done, mmm-kay?

Of course.

I always take pics of all my projects step by step all the way through.

My mother always told me to keep a journal. I'm too lazy to write, but my grandkids are gonna have thousands and thousands of pictures to sort through that tell my life story.

Comment

Working...
                        X