Roland DB500?

lowndown

• Members

Anyone had any experiences with this amp? From what I've read they sound good, as it has a driven tube sound modulation which is something I'm looking for to get some dirty grooves going.

But I can't test one, so was hoping for some feedback on this amp, as there's nothing (regarding reviews etc) on youtube. :confused:

• Members

I have one that I use for practice at home. It is a nice combo IMO. Loud for 160 watts and has great tone. Good low end for a single 12" combo and a nice variety of tones. I like mine alot. I have tried lots of other amps for use at home in this same catagory and this one is a keeper. It is heavy though for what it is. But I don't go anywhere with it so I don't care.

• Members

I have one that I use for practice at home. It is a nice combo IMO. Loud for 160 watts and has great tone. Good low end for a single 12" combo and a nice variety of tones. I like mine alot. I have tried lots of other amps for use at home in this same catagory and this one is a keeper. It is heavy though for what it is. But I don't go anywhere with it so I don't care.

Great. What's your thoughts of the driven tube sound, can it get really dirty sounding? As this is what I'm looking for!

Also, the website says it weighs 50lbs, do you think it weighs more then that?

• Members

Played a DB700 at a music store around here probably 5 years ago or so & loved it. Couldn't afford it at the time, but it was loud... Not as loud as my Yorkville 400B, but it sounded better. I think if you kick up to the DB700 you'll be happier. 160W isn't really enough to compete with guitarists who use more than 30w amps.

• Members

I have to agree with Lowndown. I had one and loved it. Very loud for 160 watts. I use the clean sound most of the time but it does have a good overdriven tone. I had no problem cutting through a keyboard and guitarist at moderate levels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

(Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but...)

I bought a DB700 a month ago from local classifieds... It was DEAD, so couldn't audition it myself either, but I took a risk and bought it (beat the price down even more because I was probably buying a doorstop).

Turns out one resistor was FRIED (gone, a charred hole on the circuit board) and one of the main capacitors wad damaged. A quick trip to the local electronics store and $30 later, I am soldering on replacement parts and crossing my fingers...

Great sound, lots of punch, and at home I can hardly turn up the volume to 1 before the wife starts giving me the look... Only improvement to the design they could have made is to allow you to power an external cabinet, but that's fine. I modded mine to have a removable IEC power plug, which was the other common complaint (hey, if I had it in pieces, may as well hack into the rest of it)

I only mention the repair story because even before I bought mine, I researched, and this line of amps seems to have a history of similar electrical problems. You can bring it to a shop to have the board replaced, but if you're gigging live, be prepared! If you've got some aptitude with a soldering iron, there's not much in there that can't be fixed with a bit of time and effort.

• 3 years later...

Archived