No announcement yet.

Peavey tour 700 opinions

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey tour 700 opinions

Some may remember my post re: SWR Working Pro 210 amp clipping/overheating awhile back. I played two full practices thru our mixing board and amp with no problems while amp was at the dealer. (So not my bass) Tried one last time with a 1X15 extension cab, as the dealer thought I was "pushing it too hard" (Gain at 3 - Volume at 5-6) With the extension cab, the power amp still clips and the amp cuts out - at even lower settings! Def. something wrong here. Its going back! Anyhoo, wanted your opinions on the Peavey tour 700 heads and tour cabs. Any advice on head cab recommendations appreciated. Trying to keep this in the 1000 - 1200 range. We are 2 guitars, keys, medium loud drummer and bass, playing Sarah smile - Dizz knee land, so I need some power to cover alot a of ground.
    (500+ watts?)
    Thanks again for your help.
    Mctoy
    MY RIG:
    Peavey Tour 700
    Tour 410 cab
    Tour 115 cab
    Korg DTR 1000
    Nady surge protector/power conditioner
    Ibanez SR 500 (x2)
    Shure SM58 Beta Mic.

"I am not ashamed of HIM in whom I have believed"

I can tell you it's good just because it's a Peavey, all my amps are peavey and they're all wonderful and tough
    GEAR
    Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom
    Ibanez SR885
    Dean Edge 09(now fretless)
    my interpretation of a frankencaster

Peavey Studio Pro 112
    Peavey Max 115 Combo
    Peavey VB-2
    2x Trace-Elliot 1048 cabs (Eminence Betas from SVT810)

Blue Yeti
    Line 6 Pod UX2

Comment

Peavey are like the Ford truck of bass amps... big dumb old technology that's dead-reliable and tough as Hell.

I've dropped my Peavey several times. Once it fell off of the back of a 6-feet elevated stage... it was on top of my 810, so it actually fell 11 feet.
      "HC is dead, long live HC!!!..."

Comment

I have a firebass 700 and when loaded down to 2 ohms for the 700 watts, it's LOUD. I hear the Tour 700 sounds much better and does 700 watts at 4 ohms.
        **WINNER OF THE BONOMAN POST OF THE DAY AWARD!! 7/17/2007
        **Member of "HCBF TUBE AMP CLUB"!!!
        Basses: Yamaha RBX-264/SPB-2/EMG preamp - Fender Mex P with Duncan Q/Ps
        PV Classic 400 - PV Firebass
        Sonic 410 - PV Pro 410 - Avatar B210 Delta - PV 115BW
        Peavey TKO 80 - Ampeg B200R

"It's amazing how boobs will turn a bunch of grown men into hapless dunderheads." - BigPigPeaches

"I am going to create ballbook, so everyone can keep up with the daily activities of my balls." - DaveAronow

Comment

Very good amp at a great price.

Comment

Very good amp at a great price.

Agreed - the Tour 450 is pretty good, too...

- georgestrings

Comment

It sounds great, and is an amazing value.
              Dingwall ABZ 5
              Pedals: GM modded BBE OptoStomp, TC Polytune, FEA Dual Band Distortion
              Markbass SD1200 -> LDS 15/6 fEarful

Comment

One of the house backlines I played had one of these.

Very nice!
                "If you don't feel like dancing when you play, neither will anyone else." Bassgeek

Musicman StingRay 5 Fretless H Piezo / G&L L2500 MIA / Reverend Rumblefish 5XL
                Reverend Rumblefish 5L FS PM
                Epiphone Les Paul
                Mesa Boogie 400+ (backup amp)
                Hughes & Kettner Fortress / QSC PLX 1804 / Bergantino NV412
                Eden WT800B / Peavey 215
                Markbass Little Mark II (backup amp)
                Eden Nemesis ENX-260 / Mesa Boogie PH112 / Mesa Boogie PH112

Comment

Yeah, the tour series is darn good. You'd probably be OK with the Tour 450 and a 4x10 if you wanted to save some cash. Peavey is good and reliable. It'll wax anything in its price range and only the most snobbish of tone snobs will be able to tell the difference between a Peavey rig and something that costs twice as much.
                  1990 Squier P Deluxe, 2000 Reverend Rumblefish XL, 1978 Yamaha BB800, 2009 Ibanez JTK
                  ?? Fender Bassman 135 w/Fender 2x15
                  199x Yorkville 400B 1x15
                  1990 Squier Fat Strat, 2003 Squier 72 Tele Custom, 2008 Yamaha CPX700
                  Peavey Max100, USA Big Muff, Boss TU2

it would rule to login, get some coffee, look at what's scheduled for the day then sip coffee and look at boobs for awihle - corpo

Comment

Peavey are like the Ford truck of bass amps... big dumb old technology that's dead-reliable and tough as Hell.

That sounds more like Chevy to me. oke:
                    1990 Squier P Deluxe, 2000 Reverend Rumblefish XL, 1978 Yamaha BB800, 2009 Ibanez JTK
                    ?? Fender Bassman 135 w/Fender 2x15
                    199x Yorkville 400B 1x15
                    1990 Squier Fat Strat, 2003 Squier 72 Tele Custom, 2008 Yamaha CPX700
                    Peavey Max100, USA Big Muff, Boss TU2

it would rule to login, get some coffee, look at what's scheduled for the day then sip coffee and look at boobs for awihle - corpo

Comment

Can't go too wrong with a Peavey.
                      Warwick Thumb 6BO> GK 700rb > GK NEO 410 I don't play your "wrong notes" - I just have a creative use of the chromatic scale in my atonal explorations! - i_wanna_les_paul Talkbass is for terrorists and communist scum. - Kingmaker I'm thinking of doing Postgraduate study in Costume Design....then I can be a Master of Disguise. - FreestyleIntruder

Comment

I played with a guy who had one of the early ones, it had the "prematurely firing triac" issue. It would mute itself at high input levels. We were sharing a bass rig on tour once and kept having this problem whenever i would play slap. It was frustrating, everytime i would get into it, the thing would mute. Peavey recognized & fixed the problem though, and if you end up with one with this problem (not likey, if buying new don't worry at all) they'll fix it for free.

Comment

I used a Peavey Tour 450 twice. The have one as the backline at Whiskey Island in Nashville. I dug it.
                          Yea my hands are big.. and yes I'm the bass player.

Comment

I've dropped my Peavey several times. Once it fell off of the back of a 6-feet elevated stage... it was on top of my 810, so it actually fell 11 feet.

My wife ran over my Peavey Mark VIII head in the garage once - she's lucky her car wasn't hurt! The only damage the Peavey took was a bent screw that held on one of the rubber feet.

Peavey bass amps are fantastic - good solid tone, good solid and dependable power, and a great value for $$$. A Tour 450 or 700 should be as much as most people need.
                            basses:
                            ~1986 pearl white fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special | 1978 black on black, maple neck Fender Precision | dark shadow grey Fender Power Jazz Bass Special | Novatone Precision!? | a couple of uprights

equipment:
                            Sunn 1200s & 410h cabinet | too many other bass amps to list
                            Akai Deep Impact | Akai Unibass | Ashly DPX-200 | Korg DT-10 tuner | a few pedals I don't use

Comment

I agree my Peavey gear has always been dependable. My old Basic 60 combo is still working fine, although it doesn't sound the best. My current Pro Bass 500 head is a pretty nice head, although I wish it was more powerful.
                              Yamaha BB3000MA (Green Satin)
                              Hanewinckel Vintage Draken 5-string Kindness approved!!!
                              Turbo Tuner ST-200
                              Crown XLS 1500 Power Amp
                              BBE BMAX Pre
                              ART Pro Channel Pre
                              Peavey Pro Bass 500 Head
                              Low Down Sound 15/6.5 Cab
                              Zoom B2.1u

Comment

Working...
                              X