Anonymous Reviewer

DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal

71 tele, 78 Tokai Strat, 67 ES335, hombrew tele into a Winfiled Thomas "high power" Eliabeth...a great, blackface super type amp. I was looking for an inexpensive, good sounding, usable, blues overdrive/boost to add to the sonic flux and compliment the other pedals I use. For me, this ain't it!

I have a digidelay that has seved me well, so I guess this would hold up to daily stomping. Some people have not faired well wit hthe new digitech pedals. I've had pretty good luck with them.

General Comments

I've played quite a variety of music over the last 35 years. Mostly blues these day's as that is my first love. I really wanted to like this pedal. Bought one based on all the fantastic reviews and the fact it's dirt cheap! While I'm happy it works well for most of the players, it bites a big one compared to my other overdrives. The equally inexpensive Ibanes TS-7 has a much warmer, fuller sound than the Bad Monkey and also works pretty well as a boost. My old Marshall Bluesbreaker and Vox Valve Tone send the Bad Monkey back to the forest canopy in search of shelter. I like the tone shaping options of a separte treble and bass control, but was unable to dial out the inherent fizziness this pedal produces. Now, this may just be with the amp I'm using. It may sound fine through other types of amplifiers, but the Winnie sounds excellent on it's own and I want pedals that enhance, not detract from the tone. I can't decide if I should take it back, sell it or keep it. I should keep it for a while and give it another go. Maybe I got a dud? Who knows.