From reading the other reviews here, it's obvious that some people love it and some people hate it. I am definitely one of those who love it. In fact, I bought it new when it came out about 7 or 8 years ago and it's still my main effects unit for guitar. This may not seem like a big deal, but I am the kind of person who is constantly upgrading equipment for the latest model and features. Effects are a big part of my sound and I've not felt the need to upgrade from this unit, although I do supplement it with other processors from time to time. As far as my set-up, I use a variety of guitars: Fender "Roland-ready" Strat. w/ Lace Sensors & Roland GR33 guitar-synth, Fender 72 Telecaster Custom, Fernandes "sustainer" guitar, and a gold-top Les Paul copy with vintage Gibson and DiMarzio humbuckers. From there I go into a Mesa Boogie V Twin tube pre-amp and into the RP 10. Most of the time I come out of the RP 10 in stereo into a pair of 60watt Marshall combo amps. I've also gone directly into the board from the RP 10 which is ok for some kinds of gigs, and great for recording. Sometimes I add an E-bow, Lexicon Vortex and/or BBE Sonic Maximizer to the signal chain. By the way, using it in stereo makes a big difference in the sound. If I were using it in mono into a single amp I would probably not rate it as highly. I play a wide range of music from classic rock (Santana, Hendrix,Pink Floyd, etc.) to ambient electronic soundscapes, and the RP 10 works for me in all those situations. After a bit of editing I get nice clean sounds, great soaring lead tones, and wonderful Robert Fripp-like special effects. The wah-wah isn't the greatest, but is useable occasionally if I don't feel like using my Cry Baby.

Mine has been totally reliable. I've never had a problem in all the years I've used it. Even so, I always carry a little Zoom 505 II as a back up, just in case.

General Comments

I bought it when it came out because it was the new model after the RP 1, which I was very impressed with after having seen a demonstration by a factory rep at a trade show. Also, at the time (mid '90's) I was using a rack-mount effects rig with a midi control pedal and it seemed that I could get as much processing power out of this compact floor unit, with less set-up, wiring hassles, etc. And I was right.

As far as criticisms, one of the only things I can think of is that I wish changing banks was a little easier and quicker- especially in a live situation. Mine is set up where the top row of buttons turns individual effects (distortion, delay, etc) off and on, and the bottom row changes patches. This only gives me 5 patches per bank, so I have to use the bank shift more than I would like. There's a bit too much pedal dancing with the possibility of tapping the wrong bank, especially on a dark stage. But obviously, I'm willing to live with this limitation and it hasn't been a major problem.

Although the RP 10 has been a great fx unit for my needs, if it were lost or stolen, I would probably do some serious research on some of the current models available. What I've heard of the newer RP series hasn't been very impressive, but pre-sets rarely are. I might check out some of the models that came out after the RP 10 like the RP 14 or RP 20, or possibly a Boss GT 6. But for now, I don't have to worry about it and will continue to use and enjoy the RP 10.

Highly recommended, especially if you are willing to get in there and tweak the patches.