I’ve written a lot of reviews in Harmony-Central and I’ve always tried to wait out the “new gear bliss” stage and wait at least six months and maybe a few dozen gigs down the road before evaluating. It’s been almost two years and I’m going to still have to give this guitar almost all 10’s, I love this guitar. To me, this is the perfect sounding acoustic guitar. I’m using it almost solely for fingerstyle playing, however, I do a bit of flat picking or fun now and then. I’ve done a few recording jobs with this guitar and it sounds just amazing on tape. While some may want more bass, I feel bass response is just right. It holds up well with some of my wackier tunings and never sounds boomy or flabby. The middle is complex yet very smooth. The highs are where, to me, all Taylors excel and the 714 is no exception. No matter what I’m doing the melody is sitting pretty on top with great clarity and brilliance. The sustain is fantastic and it is very responsive to dynamics. For me the best words to describe this guitars are: complex, balanced, and clear. For gigs I use the Fishmen Rare Earth Blender pickup. It’s a great sounding sound hole pickup with a internal condenser that you can blend in. I feel this gives me some great tone. I hate Piezio pickups and the whole idea of cutting a hole in the side to install the pre-amp controls really turns me off so I’ve found the rare Earth to be an amazing alternative to the usual factory electronics. I’m also using elixir strings with this guitar. I know some guys don’t like them but I play a lot and go through strings like crazy. to me Elixir is the coolest thing to come along since string winders.

I have been playing for 28 years, the last 8 of which I’ve been lucky enough to do full time. Playing for a living, when you’re not a rock star, means waring a lot of hats. I play a little of everything, but playing fingerstyle acoustic is the one thing I do just for me and it’s what I love to do most. I’ve been threatening to make a solo guitar record for a long time now but I’ve been waiting to find the right guitar. This is definitely the right guitar for me. It sounds closer than anything to what I hear in my head. I live in a city where I was able to try just about every steel string there is made today without going too far, and this was my favorite at any price. I would buy this guitar again for sure.

General Comments

I have been playing for 28 years, the last 8 of which Ive been lucky enough to do full time. Playing for a living, when youre not a rock star, means waring a lot of hats. I play a little of everything, but playing fingerstyle acoustic is the one thing I do just for me and its what I love to do most. Ive been threatening to make a solo guitar record for a long time now but Ive been waiting to find the right guitar. This is definitely the right guitar for me. It sounds closer than anything to what I hear in my head. I live in a city where I was able to try just about every steel string there is made today without going too far, and this was my favorite at any price. I would buy this guitar again for sure.