Nick Landolina

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

I previously owned a Vox AD100VT which I found to be a bit heavy on the bass side, and it also sounded as though a blanket had been thrown over it. The AD50VT 212 is a smaller, closed back cabinet and this amp is much more lively than the 100-watt version. Dialing in the Twin Reverb or Clean Boutique amp settings, you can get anything from a sparkling clean sound to some nice warm fat sounds. My favorite settings on this amp are the Vox AC30, Fender Bassman, and all 3 of the Marshall amps modeled. This amp with all of the different amp models can cover everything from clean to crunch to downright mean distortion. The effects are pretty good as well. The reverb is extremely impressive. I use single coil strats with this amp, and again, the amp is versatile enough to sound good with any guitar. In my opinion, Vox has the upper hand in modeling, and this amp sounds just as good, and better than a number of tube amps I have owned.

I haven't had this amp long enough to comment on reliability, however, I have owned a Vox AD100VT and never had a problem with it. I also own a Vox AD60VTH head that I've had for a year, with no reliability problems. Again, I'm a hobbyist so I can't comment on how this amp would stand up to gigging and being lugged around.

General Comments

I've been playing guitar for 36 years and have gone through more amps than I can count at this point. I also own a Vox Valvetronix AD60VTH with the 212 cabinet and floorboard. My guitars are Fender American strats, and I also own an Agile AL-3000. If this amp were stolen or would mysteriously disappear, I would not hesitate to get another. I have not had any reliability problems with Vox amps, and this is my third. I love the versatility and tone that this amp gives as well as how compact it is for a 2 x 12 amp. One issue for some may be the absence of an effects loop, but for me, it's not an issue. The amp has built-in effects which are very good. I had compared this to a Line 6 Flextone III and a Tech 21 Trademark 60 and chose this because of the price and tone. The adjustable power settings also played a key factor in my purchase. This is a great amp.