BillyCorgan

Marshall JMP-1 Tube MIDI Guitar Preamp

I'm using it live with these guitars: PRS Singlecut with a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge Gibson LP Standard Gibson The Paul Firebrand It suits my musical styles perfectly. My band plays half covers and half originals and our own style is in the vein of Smashing Pumpkins,Tool,Stone Temple Pilots with some Psychadelic rock mixed in. My main tone is a lot like The Smashing Pumpkins album Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness tone. I am running the JMP-1 into an Alesis 3630 compressor/gate,Mesa Strategy 500 and a Mesa Traditional 4x12 cab. I get VERY warm tones because of the Mesa 500 and when i want very bassy/fuzzy tones all i have to do is turn the bass shift on and crank the gain to 20. Amazing fuzzy guitar tones there. My advice to the JMP-1 haters is try it with an Alesis 3630 and a Mesa power amp. You would be amazed. Last weekend the sound guy called me over and said i was sounding great and he was pumping me up. He is also a guitarist. Here's a clip of my band playing Tool's Sober to give you an idea of my tone. The quality's not great but it is helpful. Go here for the clip. http://earthhall.musicpage.com I also made a site dedicated to the JMP-1. There are a few sound clips there recorded with a Shure SM-57 into my PC. http://personal.ayrix.net/~russell/jmpenter.html Without the Alesis 3630 i give the jmp-1 a 7 but with it i give it a 10. Huge improvment.

Hasn't broken on me yet.

General Comments

I've been playing for about 8 years. I also own a Marshall JCM 800 2203 head that i never use. The JMP-1>Alesis 3630>Mesa 500 is perfect for me as of right now. The only thing i could think of that would be better is a Diezel VH-4. Even if i got the Diezel i wouldn't get rid of the JMP-1 rig. If it sucks as bad as some people say then why am i getting so many tone compliments from so many people?