Kim-NCcYd

Korg DTR-1000 Rackmount Digital Tuner

I'm not going to even rate this, because I don't even use it in the signal path! It can be used in the path like having your guitar plug into the tuner and then go to your preamp or whatever, and it may or may not affect the tone. But since I'm so anal about having anything between the guitar and my preamp, I use the headphone jack on the back of my preamp connected to the rear input of this tuner,and the headphone volume turned up just loud enough for the tuner to track it. Now I am 100% positive there is no signal degradation! Actually for a rack setup this is probably the best way to run it, provided your preamp has a headphone jack and doesn't cut the line signal when using the headphone jack!

Seems to be about as reliable as a tuner could be. Obviously it shouldn't get dropped or anything stupid like that! No glitches or anything like that either. Tracks notes pretty darn quick. No quartz tuner will ever keep up with this!

General Comments

Play metal, blues, some classical whatever I feel like at home, and play out gigs with old school type metal. I have an asskicker rig: ADA MP-1 preamp, BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer, Rocktron Hush Super C, Rocktron Intellifex, this Korg tuner, Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp, 2 Marshall 1960 cabs, Jackson guitars with Floyds and EMGs, yada yada yada. I got this tuner because with all the great gear I have, it seemed pretty silly to continue to rely on a little handheld quartz tuner. Actually the need for this tuner came about with the addition of more guitars with various tunings. The little quartz job did alright as long as it was used for standard E tuning. One of my guitars is standard E, another is standard Eb, and the third is standard B (just like a 7 string except without the high E string and tuned so that all the scales have the same finger positions as a normal E tuning would have) Tuning the Eb axe was a pain on the handheld unless you would fret the first fret and read it as E. Ok, not the best way to do it, but checking intonation was impossible this way. Enter Korg DTR-1000 digital tuner. Now I can tune and check intonation however way I want (on-the-fly, I might add) with no hassles whatsoever because the tuner tracks the note whatever it may be! Flat, drop, standard, open, whatever you want as long as you know what note you need this will do it! I don't even use the "flat" functions, I just run it straight up. I have a "dead" patch on my Intellifex to cut the sound to the power amp and still tune off the preamp. Very sweet, indeed. Like I said about the speed this thing tracks notes, its quick, like, right now. Its a little bit slower on REALLY low notes, like the low B on the one guitar, but thats not the tuners fault. Those lower notes have a lot less frequency vibrations for the tuner to pick up and decipher. If you're serious, or have non-standard tunings, this tuner will definitely sweeten your rig. Its a bit pricey for newbies, but it makes up for it with its ease of use for whatever tuning you happen to fancy on this particular day! Feel free to email with questions about anything about my setups, etc.