J. Chance

Peavey Delta Blues 210 Tube Amp Combo

I use mainly a Strat with Van Zant Texas Blues pickups, and a '69 reissue Tele thiline with vintage series pichups, and the amp responds very well with either. Again, think Vibrolux or Super, and the Delta Blues 210 fits the bill. The amp is quiet, but I'm not real impressed with the cheap tubes that Peavey uses for stock. I replaced the pre-amp tubes (that were Chinese) with JJ electronic tubes. The amp sounded fine before, now it is a workhorse with a very ROUND tone. The clean channel breaks up at high volumes, but it does so very musically. It fights to stay clean, and never gives in to becoming overly "saturated." Instead, it gives a nice "Stevie Ray" kind of feel that sound great with a good overdrive pedal. On the other hand, the overdrive channel is very pleasant and equally versatile. I set mine low (on about 4 or 5) just for some bluesy "grit". But when set high, it gives a very smooth overdrive with plenty of sustain a la Eric Johnson.

I haven't had the amp very long, so I probably can't give an honest opinion. I have had other Peavey amps, though, and they have always fit the bill as being sturdy, reliable amps.

General Comments

I've been playing for a living for about 3 years, and I have been playing overall for about 15. I have owned MANY amps, mainly from Fender and Peavey. I would say that the Peavey Delta Blues 210 is one of the best I've ever owned, and I would definately buy another if it were lost or stolen. It is a great combination of versatile, portable, affordable, and loud. I love that is has a lot of features for a mid-priced amp, and I think that it and it's Peavey Classic Series brothers and sisters are superior in tone and value to their Fender and othere competitors. When I bought this amp, I had narrowed my choices to it and the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.The Fender had 40 watts, and the Peavey 30 (which I wish was also 40). The Fender had a little more power, but the Delta Blues had a nicer, more vintage "Fender-ish" (if you can believe it) tone than the Hot Rod (which I found to be harsh sounding.) The Peavey was also about $100 cheaper, so when I compared the two it was a no-brainer. I am very pleased with it. And while I still remain devoted the Fender guitars, I think that my next amp purchase will most likely be from the Peavey Classic Series as well.