My main guitar is a '72 Les Paul Goldtop, box stock, best blues guitar I've ever played. I also have a Gibson Victory MVX and a Steinberger. My stage amp is a (well used) Fender Blues DeVille (love it). The RP-2 covers all the effects but talk box, one of which I built myself thirty years ago (because I couldn't find one to buy). To start with, if I used this in our studio I would NOT be happy with the little fuzzy-buzzy sounds that I notice when a note or chord is decaying down to zero, but, since I bought it for stage use noone will ever hear that kind of thing at LIVE levels. All my patches have the noise gate turned OFF. I hate it when the level drops down to nearly nothing and the gate cuts it off like that. Tone: I've read most of these reviews and the concensus seems to be that the other folks didn't much care for the distortions, BUT I agree completely with the reviewer who said that the EQ section is critial to creating the distortions, and he is exactly correct. I'm one person that has gone to the time and effort to really work this out, and with great satisfaction. I use three type sounds; one clean, clear and compressed, one chunky blues patch, and one high-intensity type distortion with gobs of sustain ("TV Dinners" type of thing). I 'm very happy with my edits. At age 51 and doing originals I don't really concern myself with copying the exact tones the BIG BOYS use. Just seems pointless as hell to me now. If folks want to hear exactly what Jimi sounded like on "House Burnin' Down" they really need to get the CD. I like Robin Ford's tones, however, and would dearly love to know his setup. The reverb and delay are quite good, but an acceptable rotary speaker effect and tremelo just ain't happnin' with the RP-1, and that's no big deal.

Well, the one I owned originally never crapped out once........none of the display problems the other reported, nothing, and I was not gentle with any of my road gear during the '80, except that my guitars always get special respect. This (used) one has an angry #4 patch pedal that works when it feels like it. I can fix that myself. One patch button glitch after all these years is hardly worth griping about. Yes, the RP-1 does get HOT, so don't rest it across your thighs sitting in a chair if you plan on patch programming for more than two minutes. And never do this in the bathtub.

General Comments

I now mostly play our original tunes, a limited amount of classic rock, and the majority is blues stuff. I just love plugging one cable "in", one cable "out", and one A/C power chord (NO %@#$@ BATTERIES). I also like the ability to select the two patches I'll use in a song (between songs, after a sip of beverage) and ping-pong back and forth just by pressing one patch pedal.....that is soooo convenient. I use the ten patch set up (just for fun) but, as I said before I only need three basic patches to get through a four hour night. SO, I have to say that, although it hurt when I bought my first RP-1 and paid well over $400 for it, this one (shiping and all) was $120. Heck, I replaced five little stomp boxes (sold them on eBay) with the RP-1 and have money left over PLUS got rid of all the A/C adapters and tiny patch chords. I feel like I came out like a bandit!