Some of the ECCs effects are better (distortion) than others (flanger), but overall, you can produce a wide range of acceptably decent sounds with this unit.  The noise gate is very useful, the amp simulator isn't bad, and it has midi capability.  It has 50 factory/user presets and stereo/mono/headphone output.   Effects include (each with up to 5 parameters) -  distortion, compressor, EQ, flanger, chorus, panner/tremolo, pitch shifter, digital delay and reverb.  It also has externally controllable (via pedal) built-in wah and volume.     The distortion is killer on this.  I have owned many overdrive/distortion/fuzz boxes over the years, including an original (I got it used in about 1972) Big Muff.  I sold the Big Muff (I had to - almost $1000!); the ECC's distortion is really much better sounding, and way more versatile.     It doesn't provide the same performance as studio rack units, some better boutique pedals or current multi-effects units.   But it is very good for home studio use and performing.  Twenty years ago (I'm writing this in 2016), this was one of the best multi-effects (floor) units out there.   The fact that it is not ridiculously obsolete by now is a testament to its original design and quality.

That many ECCs still function well, and are still being used, demonstrates that they were built for the long run.  It has an all-steel enclosure, rubber encapsulated foot switches and a simple LED-based display.  Except for the oddball 9V AC (versus DC) external power supply and the  internal coin cell battery, there is little to wear out (in fact, I have two ECCs I bought in the 1990's, and the power supplies are still working fine.)     The only problem I've experienced is that the little "lenses" for the LEDs tend to pop out.  These aren't the actual LED bulbs (as some have written), as the LEDs are down on the circuit board.  The lenses are installed into the top of the enclosure; they just magnify the effect of the lit LEDs.  These are easily reattached and secured with a drop of super glue.

If you need a solid, fairly simple to use, very inexpensive unit for general use, you can't really go wrong with the ECC.  Currently, I've seen it for sale for $50 to $100 online, quite a deal for what you get.  These were built in the U.S.A.

General Comments

Add this to your arsenal.  I doubt you'll regret it.

I have been playing guitar for over 45 years.  I have played most styles of music.  I currently own over 50 guitars, and many amps and effects.