Lutz Haake-u1uiN

Rocktron VooDu Valve On-Line Guitar Multi Effects Processor

My guitars are Ibanez SZ 520, Schecter Hellraiser, Ibanez RG 560 and Peavey Raptor, all with humbuckers and more or less modded, with a mesa 2/90 power amp hooked to marshall 1960 and engl 112 cabs. Do not use the factory patches when trying out this unit. Most of them are effect-ridden and do not show the voodu's true qualities. There is virtually no noise, the hush unit works very smooth. There is noticeable noise in the high gain settings, but I still would call the unit very quiet. Effects are ok overall. Delay is good, but does not allow for ping-pong. Reverb is okay but slightly artifical sounding, especially with an over-driven power amp. Time-delay effects are outstanding, except pitch shift, which is below average. It offers great effect routing possibilities. To me, the unit shines at crunchy, marshall-like tones. High-gain tones sound smooth, singing and pleasant, but on the other hand they seem to lack that modern "grit", although I must say I'm still experimenting. Although the unit offers "low gain" and "high gain" settings, the "high gain" sounds pretty much like a hot "low gain", it does not really add any new characteristics, besides gain. I believe there is room for modding here... The unit offers parametric equalizers pre (2-band) and post (3-band) distortion, which is the key to tone. Sometimes I wish it had 3 and 4 band eqs. But you can get really great sounds from it. You have a host of parameters to play with and to go wrong with. You really need to know what you are dealing with. I found duncanamp's tone stack calc to be helpful to find the right frequencies.

The volume knob on the back broke once. It kinda sticks out unprotected and is easy to break, when outside a rack. I had to call rocktron support germany, they sent a replacement WITHIN ONE DAY WITHOUT CHARGE.

General Comments

I have been playing for over 20 years. My styles are mainstream and hard rock. I definetely recommend this unit.