Stubbo

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal

My 'go-to' setup: Gordon-Smith G60 > Cry baby > Laney all-tube with delay and chorus in the effects loop. Occasionally when recording the pedal output goes to a Line 6 PC interface The pedal can be slightly noisy in the treble settings. Out of the box, the pedal sound is poor - it has a really, really high treble boost - the sort that sets your teeth on edge. It is not true bypass and you do notice this. However I recorded both pedal-in and pedal-out chains straight to a DAW and compared the results - it wasn't too bad - I guess it depends on your guitar and chain. I do recommend adjusting the pot to give a less treble output in the toe-down position - no soldering iron needed and really easy to do. The great thing about even the current production GCB95 is that it is easy to mod and there are plenty of insructions on the net to show you how to do it. The sweep between toe and heel down is not wide - all the 'action' seems to appear in a small area between the two positions. To change this you will need soldering skills, however stock settings are not unusable and can actually assist when you do need a very fast sweep - for example, it's great when you want a percusive 'wakka-wakka' funk rhthym sound. I would definately suggest that this pedal is best used in a harmonic setting rather then lead guitar. (As I am typing this, Prelude Part 1 by Miles Davis on Agharta has just come on my iPod and guitarist Pete Cosey has exactly the wakka-wakka sound I mean!) Don't buy this in the attempt to emulate another guitarist's sound - I bet that there is not one unmodded CryBaby on any professional's pedalboard. But do buy it if you can use a screwdriver and like the feel of a well-made piece of kit. 4 stars out of the box, 7 stars with the simple pot rack and pinion mod, rising to a posible 10 if you want to get your hands dirty.

I've always thought that the white plastic potentiometer rack and pinion look a bit flimsy but I have no evidence to suggest that this is the case. There's just something about 95's that, despite all the shouting about their poor stock sound, still shout 'quality' and I feel as though they have a hand-made vibe about them (which isn't the case.) In short this is a heavy-duty peice of kit that feels solid and smooth to use. It is testiment to it that you see so many old one's around. A solid 10.

General Comments

It's simple, it's effective. Like I said above, you will need to mod it but that can be fun and quite easy - a good introduction to the subject. I suggest the following mods in the following order:

- The potentiometer adjustment

- Fitting true bypass and removing the buffer

- Gain adjustments making up for the loss of volume due to the above.

- Fitting a Faisel inductor (if you really want a vintage sound)

There are planty of others you can do - thats the beauty of this unit.