First, I want to say that I found the Vintage 30's to be very ineffective for my style of music. I need speakers that are very 3-dimensional, complex and able to handle the full tonal spectrum with just the right amount of breakup at higher volumes--I need a very musical, alive warm tone that can go from soft, breathy jazz to crotch-rocking gutsy punch and wail, and exceptional lead finesse at high volume and intensity, with all the overdrive I can find. The V30's could get a good amount of that sound, but specific frequency/volume zones just broke up too easily, especially with Barden pickups, which are 'hotter', and a staple of my sound. I found the V30's more 2-dimensional, held back, and overall quite frustrating until pushed hard, and then half my guitars didn't really work. I was spending way too much time adjusting the EQ. I have a 65 Deluxe Reverb RI with a Weber C12N in it right next to the Quiana at home, and I finally admitted to myself that I have always preferred the tone of that amp/speaker over the stock Quiana. At $1795, I wanted the Quiana to be the Holy Grail out the door. But it just wasn't; there are happy endings though, and the new Weber C12CH, 80-watt Weber-design speakers (based on the C12N), are EXACTLY what I was wanting. They are designed to create the "Chicago" blues sound--I tipped the tonal scale back to America/Fender and damn, is it good. Now, this amp is so alive that I can use very guitar I have and dial in all the sounds I have been dreaming of. I want to list what I play, because it demonstrates just how versatile and good this amp is now: -2 '94 Strats--one with Bardens, the other with Van Zandts -3 Teles--a '94 with Bardens, a new Deluxe Nashville with Harmonic Designs, and a stock '76 with unforgiving, strident pups -a '63 ES 330 with Gibson '57 Classics Every guitar has a very unique EQ identity, and the Quiana can now handle all of them with great character and depth. I am very impressed. I can go from very clean Jerry Donohue/Richard Thompson finesse to full-bore Jimmy Thackery/SRV/Luther Allison very confidently. The string definition is exceptional. The amp is very quiet, very responsive to playing technique. The Quiana really is an instrument now. The gain boost mod also has made the boost a musical choice, rather than the heavy-handed punch it was before, and I use it a lot now with great results. The distortion with the new Webers is that gut twisting, exquisite 'just to the edge' rich tone, with out losing definition. At 80 watts each, and with Ted Weber's genius creating very sensitive, efficient speakers, these beauties and the Quiana just sing, from raunch to angelic. Finally, I use channel 2 almost exclusively. I'd like to fatten up channel 1 just a tad, though at lead-wail volumes, it is truly gorgeous.

Apart from 4 shop-installed tubes that failed, rock solid.

General Comments

I have been playing 32 years, having owned or borrowed various Fenders, Boogies, Ampegs, Carvins, Gallien-Kruegers, Marshalls, Crates, Matchless, Pignose, Line 6, Victorias and Vox. I haven't hit the K&M/Top Hat/Dr. Z/Egnator/Budda circuit yet. So far, I'll take the Quiana as modified.

I currently own the Q212, a BF'd 73 Super Reverb with original Jensen AlNiCo's, and a 65 Deluxe Reverb RI. The Q is the most versatile, by far. Great, great depth available to me as a player. I bought it off the Guitar Player review, and just gut instinct, and have had an early phase of speaker discontent. Problem solved now, and I've got one great amp.