The sound is great, bright high end, throaty bass, good projection. The sound is not as good if you are sloppy, amplifies the errors. Sounds better strumed, not hedges-ed on. The action is a little high for lead/blues work. I have a DR-28 that I can pretty much beat on, a great guitar, in fact it sounds better thashed on. The sound of the D-03 is more of a James Taylor, or strummy Greatful Dead, Jimmy Buffet. Micheal Hedges will sound better on something else. Don't get me wrong the sound is F-ing great. I prefer to write using this guitar. It's very silimar sounding to the Taylor 310, the action is a little diff.

General Comments

The Larrivee D-03 is a great value in solid top guitars. I've had comments on how good it sounds. I personally like the ordinary looks, especially the clear pick gaurd. I would look at the Taylor 310 or the Martin D-28, maybe the Gibson J-45. They all sound diferent, Taylor 310 is probably the closest.

I have 5 guitars. I love my DR-28, Epi Les Paul Custom, Morgan Monroe Resonator, and my red headed step child beater camp tosser, can't remember her name.... I think I love the Larrivee too, obviously more than the step child, especially the tone. The DR-28, I got 20+ years ago, the action is great, the sound is what it is, we've been together so long it's really more of a relationship. The Epi LP has more play-ability than any guitar I have ever played. The Morgan Monroe is a resonator, what a great slide guitar, especially if you are stoned.

The Larrivee D-03 has an inspiring tone, it's a real notch up, very noticible. It's a few shekels less than a Taylor or Martin, but it's in the same category, action may be a little higher, the sound may be a little better. If you are going for a solid top check it out, also check out the Taylor 310, and the Martin D-28.

Want an inexpensive, good sounding, not solid wood, guitar get a Washburn.