arcticmaster

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

My setup is simple: Epiphone LP Alpine Whiite Custom through a variety of effects (including a rat distortion, an eq, ts-9 clone, chorus, delay, reverb) straight to the amp. Those boxes are really quiet so I have no need to run anything through a loop. And now for the amp: Sound: There are maybe 4-5 amp models that are REALLY good, with the others just being OK. These good models include the Blackface 2x12, Tweed 4x12, AC30, Boutique OD, and in some cases the UK Modern. Obviously some might find the other models useful, but for me these are the only ones they use. The blackface is just beautiful - clean tone to die for and can get a really nice cranked tone out of it. The only downside to the amp is that - although this is also a good thing - it really pumps out the bass. The back is closed so this thing resonates like mad. A more configurable EQ would have been nice. Effects: They're all digital. Fun to play with. The phaser is particularly gross. But then again you aren't buying this amp for those, are you? 10 for the 5 great amp models, -1 for the crazy bassiness.

It hasn't done anything weird on me yet. It's built like a tank. It's fallen over plenty of times and still kicking. If it fell down the stairs, I would probably be more concerned for the floor when it hit the bottom than for the amp itself (though I am careful with my gear, so... I hope i never have to see that happen). It gets a 9 because I haven't had enough experience abusing it to award it a 10. If it's still around in 10 years then I'll know :D

General Comments

I play lots of rock - specifically oriented around 90s alternative (bands that were once considered grunge, then moved away from that scene) ie. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Sonic Youth... And then some prog rock, ie. Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree.

This amp is great for the style of music I play. I can get pretty much any tone I want out of it - given enough time to mess with the various amp models and fine-tuning the EQ.

I've been playing for just under 3 years. I was using a crap practice amp for about 2 years and moved up to this. Wanted to get a bit of tube sound for a bit less $ - I think this is a good balance.

If it were lost or stolen, if I had the cash for a nice all-tube amp I might consider that. Otherwise I would definitely buy another one.

Overall, just a solid amp. There are a few flaws, but I think the cost and the solid amp models it has outweigh those.