Here's the setup I typically play with: Ovation CU-247 > Boss CS-3 > Boss PH-3 > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss RV-3 > Boss NS-2 > Church PA system I usually play rhythm guitar to back my lead guitarist at our church, and since he usually plays electric leads, I typically stay acoustic. Whenever I'm playing straight acoustic, I almost always (nine times out of ten, easily) have the RV-3 turned on. The last reverb setting--number 11, I believe) is a nice cathedral-style reverb, and it adds a lot to my sound. I absolutely love the way it fills the sanctuary! While I've messed around with some of the other settings, I don't use them that often, so I can't say too much about 'em. I've never gotten a bad sound out of this pedal, though. I'm not sure why everyone complains about the reverb sounding tinny or metallic--personally, I think it sounds nice and warm. The delays sound nice and clean, and the few settings that are a mixture of delay and reverb also sound good. Just a quick note: I tried this pedal out with my Les Paul going into a Marshall half stack, but I don't really care for the reverb sound it puts out--delays sound good, though. Then again, I've got spring reverb on my Marshall, and no pedal on earth can produce reverb quite like that.

I bought this pedal used, and I'm not sure how much it the original owner used it, but it worked perfectly when I bought it and it still works like a charm. Every pedal on my board is a Boss, and I've never--not once--had one of them fail. Maybe they should try armoring Humvees with Boss pedals. They're seriously that tough! I don't have the money to go out and buy duplicates of all my pedals, so I have no choice but to gig without backups, but that doesn't bother me. I have faith in Boss and their gear, and I don't think I'll ever need backups.

General Comments

All in all, this is a great pedal. I use reverb all the time now, and this pedal has become an integral part of my sound. And I love the fact that Boss gave the RV-3 some delay functionality too. I don't use delay nearly often enough to justify going out and buying a dedicated delay pedal, but this pedal gives me the ability to get some delay if I want it (or need it).

I've heard that this particular pedal eats Duracells for breakfast, which isn't a problem for me since I use AC power all the time, but that's just something to be aware of. It has stereo outputs, which I've (unfortunately) never gotten a chance to use because I've never come across a stereo PA system to use it on. Just something else to keep in mind.

If this pedal happened to disappear, I'd definitely scour the Internet to find another one (they stopped making these a while back), 'cause I love the versatility this stomp box gives me.