I have a Fender Lone Star Strat and a Jackson Rhoads Standard with a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon Trembucker. I use the Fender when I want to play with very little or no distortion and it sounds good, real good. The problem is if you want to play with a lot of distortion. If you're into metal, the amp's distorted channel just dosen't cut it. If you put an EQ in the effects loop and cut the mids you can get a good Black Sabbath sound, but if you're looking for a super saturated sound like Slayer or early Metallica you'll need a stomp box. I have a Boss Metal Zone pedal and it sounds great, UNTILL you crank up the volume past 12 o' clock, then no matter how much you tinker with your gain and level controls it sounds pretty bad. If you don't like to play with tons of distortion its probably a good amp, but forget playing it with a lot of distortion at high volumes.

I've had it for over a year with no problems. The only things that concerns me is that if you push the tone shift buttom a few times the amp won't switch to the distorted channel. I don't know why this happens and it always returns to normal after about 15 minutes but it dosen't seem right.

General Comments

I've been playing for about 3 years, and in some ways I still like my cheap Crate GX-15 amp better. Its not a bad amp but I would not buy it again. People make fun of me but I still think that Crate makes better products, if you're on a limited budget. All the talk about "the famous Marshall sound" certainly does not apply to their valvestate line. A friend of mine has a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt head, now thats the Marshall sound.