Trev-JNi3N

Schecter Guitar Research C-7 Blackjack 7-String Electric Guitar

This suits my music style almost perfectly. This guitar can really crunch, but also has that warm feeling that you get from a Gibson. I keep the pickup switch in the first position(bridge pickup) and this allows for those 'squealing' highs in lead and that crunch for rhythm playing. I use a Zoom 2020 studio effects processor running through a Crate GX-40 amp(Celestion speakers). There is hardly any noise at all, and the notes are very defined, even in agressive fast soloing. The sound is a mix between a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat, but with more of an edge. The pick-ups aren't perfect, but for the price they are great. Can't expect to have the same quality as EMG's for the price I paid! You can get some very dark sounds using the 2nd and 3rd position of the pickup switch on a clean channel, maybe add some chorus or flanger. This guitar rocks with distortion, and the distortion I'm using isn't that great, so I can imagine what it would be like with something like a Marshall or Mesa Boogie. I like the feel most of all. It's a "player's guitar". Very easy neck, low action, and the fret work is flawless from what I can tell. Oh yeah, and I love the look. This thing has THE look of a metal 21st century metal guitar. I don't like the pickups as much as I thought I would, but like I said before, they aren't Seymour Duncan's or EMG's. They are Duncan Designed - big difference. However, I could see me using this guitar in the studio or on stage.

I think it would withstand live playing for a while, but the pickup switch would eventually need work. This isn't uncommon though if you use it a lot. Any electronics are going to need servicing on any guitar. My guitar is black with a natural binding trim. The finish is very nice. It really sets off the arched body. The strap buttons are very solid. I like the top button because it is declined, which gives you more stability if you don't use locks. I can depend on this guitar. I've played Ibanez, Gibson, Squier, Hamer, and Fender guitars. For the price, you can't beat Schecter. I've seen a lot of guitars in this price range that were crap. They would have basswood bodies, standard tuners, and cheap construction.

General Comments

I've been playing for 10 years. I own a Series 10 acoustic/electric, a Fender by Squier strat, and now my baby, the C-7. I used to own a Custom Designed Kramer and a Westone.

The information that American Musical Supply provided on this guitar, coupled with the reviews you guys had on here, there is nothing I wished I'd asked before buying the guitar.

I love the overall feel, and definitely the look. The arched body really makes this thing look 'killer'. I don't care for the pickups very much, but that's nothing that $100 can't take care of. My favorite feature is the playability. Man, you can get those power chords out with the greatest of ease and accuracy.

I compared this guitar to Ibanez and ESP. The models that they sell in this price range are basically CRAP in my opinion. This Schecter guitar is built well - no shortcuts like other guitars.

I wish it had EMG pickups and maybe have had the cord input on the face of the guitar(personal preference really).