The stock pickups sounded good and were bright. I swapped out the stock pickups and wiring for 1995 Vintage Custom Shop Texas Special pickups and installed Ernie Ball Slinky 10's. The sound now rivals more expensive guitars and when plugged directly into my vintage Fender PA 100, 100W tube head, Dr Z Air Brake and into a custom Avatar 2x12 cab, Thanks, Dave from Avatar, it sounds awesome with incredible sustain for blues. I play through various effects, Marshall Edward the Compressor, Ibanez TS-808 & TS-09 tube screamers, Robert Keeley BOSS MT-2, Twighlight mod in different configurations. The Fender Squier SE-100 sounds great played through any configuration. My son plays rock and metal using this guitar and it can do it all.

The finish and hardware are higher quality than current Fender Squiers and is close to my vintage Japanese and Korean Squires. I use strap locks and would only gig with a back up.

General Comments

The Fender SE Special Strat offers a high quality guitar, with same size body as a USA Strat and a Fender CIJ neck. Include 1995 Vintage Fender Custom Shop Texas Special Strat pick ups and this guitar is incredible value for the money. I have been playing for a number of years and my girl friend tells me that I own fourteen guitars and should get rid of a few, LOL. If it was stolen I would seek out another. Of all the guitars I have, this is the one that I pick up the most frequently to play.