Michael Knight

Danelectro DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb Guitar Effects Pedal

Well I checked out one of these things in the music store yesterday and after reading these reviews I felt compelled to put in my two bits. This is the worst reverb I have ever heard in my guitar playing career. It is nothing less than a delay pedal set to a very high repeat rate. No springs here. I tried to get a reverb sound out of my Boss analogue delay repeatedly over the years, in hopes of solving the dry-amp problem. Anyways, the result with this unit is the same: a tinny echo-ey metallic delay that simply kills tone. I have heard better reverb out of all the practice amps I have ever used, including bottom of the line Crates and Randalls. When I plugged it in for the first time, I kept fooling with the chorus knob on the amp, trying to turn it off so I could have a clean tone to put the pedal ontop of. Then I realized that that awful chorus sound was coming from the pedal. I told the salesman that it was the worst reverb I have ever heard. He said he could have told me that before I tried it. And this is coming from a commission salesguy!

who knows? Who would? This line has only been out for a short time.

General Comments

I know there is a definite need for a reverb pedal unit out there. Since the only real choice out there was the fender reverb tank uptil now and the Boss delay/reverb pedal, I was very excited when I heard that Danelectro was coming out with an inexpensive reverb-only pedal. So many amps (Marshal JTM, Fender Showmans etc) lack reverb and tragically so. However, this pedal fails so miserably in what it is meant to do, that I suggest to whoever wants reverb, to avoid this pedal unless you do not care about your sound and want to piss people off. I'd rather play dry than run this thing.

In sum: Good idea, bad execution.