I'm into blues, funk, fusion and straight ahead jazz. I own about a dozen guitars and about a half dozen amps from solid state to boutique tubes. I own a made in Japan version of this pedal, purchased new in the mid 80's. For the most part, I have never used this pedal, since classic flanging was really never my thing. Recently I decided to unload gear that I didn't use anymore and decided to fire it up one last time and made some interesting discoveries. This first thing I noticed was this pedal produced a very respectable chorus sound. The depth of the chorus was very impressive and comparable to my Analogman Clone Chorus. The Analogman is a bit more transparent and provided more note detail, but also cost a lot more. I was pleasantly surprised. One of the other reviewers mentioned Ernie Isley used this pedal to get his sound. So I tried to replicate this and in the process discovered I could get Santana's sound on the cut called "Taboo," from his Santana 3 LP. It's not a classic flange sound, but a rich 3 dimensional effect that was kind of a cross between a touch of slow chorus and a hint of flanging. The depth of the tone was what caught my attention. The pedal sucked a bit of highs, but the overall effect using overdrive was very nice. I found I could pretty much replicate Ernie Isley's tone and the Santana tone mentioned above. I ended up noodling around with this for quite some time and had a lot of fun with it. In the end, I've decided to keep this pedal (at least for now). The classic chorus sound can be had by setting the "Manual" and "Res" controls to zero and setting the Depth and Rate at approximately 12 o'clock. To get the Ernie Isley and Santana tones from above, I set the manual between 10 and 2 o'clock, while keeping the rate and depth at approxiately 12 o'clock and the "Res" at "0." My pedal did not cause a volume boast as some of the other reviewers had indicated. Where the pedal lacks in transparency and detail, it made up for in richness and depth in sound. Used in the context described above, this pedal is hard to beat for the money.

From day one this particular pedal had a slight problem with the on-off switch. I may have to step on the pedal a couple of times to either turn it on or off. Aside from that I'm assuming it with hold up.

General Comments

This pedal allowed me to rediscover nostalgic sounds from the past and I'm currently having a lot of fun with it. If it was lost, I will probably not buy another. It appears there were a lot of inconsistencies in the production quality of this pedal, judging from the many comments that the pedal caused a huge jump in volume when activated. I'm keeping the pedal for the sounds I discovered and not for the clasic flange effect. For that, I'm sure there are better alternatives.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and fairly picky about my tone.