I am mainly using this pedal with a 60-watt Randall Jaguar Chorus Amp, a Rickenbacker 650F, an Electra Phoenix, and an SG copy. I am also using the RP-10 to run vocals through, as well as keyboard. I will often plug my instrument/mic into the RP-10 and then the RP-10 directly into a 4-track. On some types of distortion, the pedal can be noisy, but I find using the noise gate can help. Sometimes that gives it an unnatural feel though, to me, so often I let the hum continue. I mostly play rock and experimental type music, so sometimes I can use the noise to great effect. However, I also play in a room with lots of equipment and computers, so that could also play into it. I don't notice the hum on every setting though. Generally, I love the sounds out of this pedal. It's one of the best muli-FX units I've ever owned. Very versatile. Some sounds in the factory preset sound too similar to others to really have a point of being included, but overall, I like the palette of options available, and I love the custom sounds I've been able to create the most. One sound that I've approximated was Joey Santiago's of The Pixies. I then took that sound, tweaked it and have come up with a few versions of my own sound that I'm particularly proud of. I don't know FX inside and out to be able to tell you if say, the chorus is the tops or not... all I know is generally everything sounds good to me. Some of the distortions are a bit much on the treble side, tinny, but sometimes that's what I want. At the same time, there are many meaty distortions to choose from too, and some that are fairly faithful to the sounds they're based on, especially for an old unit such as this. My only other "complaint" is that there is a delay sometimes when clicking from sound to sound, but that's to be expected for a vintage pedal of this type. Whether you play, country, pop, metal, triphop or anything beyond or in between, you'll be able to make use of this pedal.

For a split second, I had a scare... a few weeks after I got the pedal... it "died" on me... but it turns out that it was only due to a dead lithium battery INSIDE the unit, that has nothing to do with the power adapter for the unit itself. This lithium battery powers the memory of the RP-10. When this battery dies, it must be taken out and replaced, and the unit must be reset, or else the pedal will give you tons of error messages and will not make a sound. A battery can be bought at Radio Shack type place for a few dollars. You simply unscrew the unit, replace the battery, re-fasten the cover and then reset the unit. It's very simple to do (although any custom sounds will be lost - so make sure you keep a list of all your patches.), only takes a few minutes, and will save you lots of money instead of sending it to a repair shop, or throwing it away, only to buy a new one. I bought the unit used from eBay, and judging from a missing endcap, I think this unit has been used thoroughly. And I once tripped over a cord and came stomping down on the board and the baby still works beautifully. I would completely feel that I could rely on this pedal and would use it for shows without backup AS LONG AS I had an idea of when the lithium battery inside was changed. If I knew there was a chance the battery still had juice in it, then I would definitely gig without backup. To not have a backup would not be smart because you would have to unscrew the unit, change the battery, screw the unit's cover back on, reset the unit and if you weren't using factory preset patches, you would then have to reprogram your custom sounds.

General Comments

I play a little bit of everything, but mainly pop, rock and experimental. I'm finding the RP-10 quite versatile and producing great sounds overall. I have been playing regularly for about 10 years and this is one of the best multi-FX units I've ever gotten, new or used. Finding it used, makes it an even greater bargain. Again, I will be using it on guitars, vocals, basses, and keyboards; equipment ranging in age from mid-60s to mid-90s.

I'm very happy with it and if it were lost or stolen, I would definitely seek out another. I tried using a Boss ME-30 when this Digitech RP-10 was out of commission due to the battery situation, but the Boss surprisingly, didn't cut the mustard. I LOVE Boss pedals, but overall even though that pedal and the manual are easier to understand, I didn't think it was as good as the Digitech RP-10.

I love the sounds of the RP-10 generally and I live the PROSPECTS of what I'll be able to do, once I figure out that manual. I'm particularly looking forward to using the Wah/Whammy/Expression pedal when I can customize it more.

I wish it were easier to understand, in terms of use, but still it's a good pedal. The only other thing is I wish it had an on/off switch. Here it gets power only by plugging in and to turn it off, you unplug it. My complaints seem major, but I think with a lot of good electronics, it can take a while to fully to unlock the possibilities and I'm willing to put in the time to work with it, to shape my own sounds. The problems I have with the pedal for the most part stem around that complicated manual, but once I get that dialed in, all should be good.