ajay315

DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal

Currently playing a PRS McCarty Standard, Hamer 25th Aniversary, G&L ASAT Special and an Ibanez NDM1 through eother a Champ(at home), or a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I like overdrive & distortion pedals, and use a different one to suit whatever mood I'm in. When I want a TubeScreamer type pedal, I plug into the Bad Monkey...and I own a TS9 TubeScreamer!!! The seperate treble & bass knobs are quite useful, and make the Monkey more versatile that the TS9. It also has a bit more gain and a clearer, brighter sound when engaged. Great for classic rock, blues, and some harder rock styles. Does it suck tone when bypassed. Nah. Not too much. Hint: OD pedals work better with a little volume to 'em. The Bad monkey really opened up at "jamming" levels.

I's use it at a gig without a backup...but I don't have to! I have the Made in China **and** the Made in USA versions. No difference soundwise. Heavy pedal, feels solid. I dunno how long it'll last. I'm tempted to say I don't care at this price, but the sturdy construction gives me some confidence in it's longevity. I'll go out on a limb...

General Comments

I've been playing a long time(19 years!Yeeeeek!!!). I find myself just wanting something to push my Fender amps over the edge, for added sustain & rhythm crunch. I was giving some boo-teek pedals some consideration, when the missus bought me my 1st bad Monkey for my birthday in March. Two months later, and it's still my "go-to" pedal. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat...and did(hmmmmm....2 Monkeys chained together. I really oughta try that). I love the EQ controls, and the cheezy logo on it(really. I do. I don't care if you believe me).

At half the price of an Ibanez TS9, and with more ooomph and tweakability, this pedal is a steal. Try one. But one. Or two.