Pete Downes

roland Cube 80X 80W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

I use it with a Gibson CS-356. Music styles: jazz rock fusion. I bought this amp after using a Cube 20x which I bought for students and has become my main recording amp, and performance amp when slaved. However, I could not get the same overdrive sound from the 80x. The closest tonally was the 'Dyna Amp' but it has a very different response which I found unnatural for my style. For me the most successful overdrive sound is the Classic stack with all EQ set low. You can hear my demo of this sound here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfk-KIWrCg The clean channel (JC) is not as warm as the 20x and seems to lack midrange. This could be due to the speaker being a 12 inch. It has better clean overhead without clipping and sounds less harsh at volume. The digital effects are much better on the 80x.

Seems well build and I have gigged with it reliably. A removable mains cable would have been useful to aid protective covering or flightcasing.

General Comments

I've been playing over 35 years. I also have a Marshall Vintage Modern but prefer the 20x for recording and sessions.

When compared to the 20x for me the tone of the 80x is not as good. The 20x 'Tube Drive' is the best valve emulation I've ever used. The Classic Stack of the 80x has a lot of high mid which can't be EQ'd out. This is just my personal taste.