Ed Grimley

Electro-Harmonix Classics USA Big Muff PI Distortion / Sustainer Guitar Effects Pedal

Wow, this thing is incredible. I AB'ed my Dunlop Jimi Hendrix system classic fuzz and was able to get almost the same tone from the Big Muff. Plus, I still had plenty of room to go. Wow! Now I see why there are so many users of this pedal. I find the fuzz gets harsh when the tone knob is cranked but turning it down yeilds some nice smooth sounding vibe. For the price you can't go wrong. It's very versatile.

Ok, I see there's a lot of mixed reviews on this subject and I'm going to say that although it's of cheap construction, I still find it reliable. Especially when it's on the pedal board. Unfortunately, I can't understand why the jacks are reversed and there's still no ac adapter jack? I mean after all these revisions it still has these flaws? What gives? The electronics seem to be improved though, I think the caps aren't as cheap as before plus it is true bypass. It has the 9 pin switch but it isn't switchcraft, so it will break down sooner. The pots aren't the greatest either but some contact cleaner will keep them going for years to come.

General Comments

Overall, I really enjoy this fuzz. You can imitate most guitar legends with it. David Gilmour is an avid user of this product and I can see why. But, what frys my ass is the lack of an ac adapter input and the reversed jacks. Again this is a budget item so I shouldn't bitch, the overall usefulness of the product is stellar and a blast to use. And, the price is as cheap as dirt. I wish I would've bought one sooner.