Adam-G3mMN

Marshall JMP-1 Tube MIDI Guitar Preamp

I'm using this preamp with a G&L Legacy with Fender Lace Sensors in it, and a Mesa Strategy 500 stereo power amp with it, a Crybaby, a vintage Fender fuzz pedal (which I only use for a few leads) a boss reverb, and another Boss delay all into a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. Both of the overdrive channels (which aren't really overdrive anymore with the Sovteks, they're more like face melt one and face melt two). First I'll talk about the clean channels. The first one is the one I use all the time. It's very round and smooth sounding with a lot of edge in it. It's also very dark (due to my 12AX7WXT+ tubes) and clear sounding. The second one is way too bright and brittle sounding for me. Not wet sounding enough for my use, so I never play with it. It's got too much "spank" I guess. The distortion channels are great. I play smashing pumpkins stuff, and this is exactly the preamp they use, so I get a very similar sound if you've ever heard them before. It's intense high gain. Very bassy with a lot of clarity in the highs, and plenty of drive. I like it for low gain settings too. It does a nice low gain, but I don't usually use it. The low gain has lots of drive and cut. The vintage channel does the low gain a lot better than the modern one. The distortion channels hiss a bit at loud settings, but it's not as bad as my old JCM 900. It's actually quiet comparitively speaking. I actually wish it had even more gain than it has now, but I'm insane.

I haven't had any problems with it, but I haven't had it for very long.

General Comments

I've been playing for a few years now, and I've owned a Peavey Delta Blues amp, a Marshall JCM 900 4100, and this probably isn't my last amp, but it'll be around for a while I'm guessing. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm thinking about buying a second one to use along with the first for even more distortion because as I said, I'm insane.