Casey Jefferson

M-Audio Keystation 88es USB MIDI Keyboard Controller

As mentioned, it doesn't have any sound onboard. The velocity respond is also mentioned above, it's on the heavy curve side, where you need to hit pretty hard to reach velocity 120 and above. But as far as velocity is concerned, it's easy to control compared to its big brother Keystation 88 Pro, which you'll get very unstable velocity output because of the way the keys are built. The rest are pretty standard, nothing much to mention.

I just got this for a few days, no problem whatsoever. But since it's simple to use I can't think of anything potentially unreliable except for built quality, which is pretty much reasonable for the price offered. In fact, my colleague use it for gigs and carry around, seems fine after using it for a year.

General Comments

I bought this because my 8 years old Roland XP-80 suffered from "dental surgery" while I'm in the middle of a project. It's time for it to retire anyway, so I rushed out to buy one to replace it. But since I don't have much budget in the hand to buy the Yamaha KX8 which is what I intended to buy soon. So I opted for this 88es, since I only want the basics - sustain switch, pitch bend, mod wheel, 88 keys.

Tried it on the spot at the shop, triggering a few VSTi and I'm pretty happy about it, so I bought it right away.

All in all, it's not a perfect keyboard for everyone, but if you don't want to spend much money, and want a semi-weighted 88 key controller (although to me it's non-weighted anyway) with excellent simplicity and low price to offer, this is really a good choice.

PS: There's no Studio Logic Fatar series keyboard dealer/distributor in my country, so I can't compare them but I can see they're in the same price point. I think Studio Logic will be a better choice, but I got no choice, so I settled on m-audio instead.