The sound of this guitar is somewhere between a tele and a strat. It is woodier sounding than my '57 RI strat. All in all, this is the most versatile guitar I own. My strat can be a little too bright for some songs and my PRS too dark. This guitar hangs right in the middle. Bridge PU is bright and round, perfect for distortion leads. Neck PU is more strat then tele. Positions 2 and 4 have decent chime. I should add that I owned (and traded) an ASAT with the G&L soap bar PUs. I think Leo's ears were completely blown by the time he designed all G&L PUs - THEY ALL SUCK (IMHO). That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I like bright full-bodied SC PUs. Duncans are my favorite. G&L PUs are boinky and honky and (IMHO) sound just awful! As far as the rest of the guitar, the body is fairly resonant with a nice warm woody quality. The ebony fretboard adds a nice touch of firmness to the tone. Very reminscent of a RW strat. Rating for this category is for the stock config - add 5 points if you swap the PUs out or find one with Duncans factory installed. The difference is night and day!

What's to go wrong?

General Comments

It took awhile to really bond with this guitar, I've contemplated selling it on several occasions. I'm glad I didn't. Some of the best deals are the ones you never make! I'd say about half the time, this guitar goes to a gig just because I consider it so versatile. I love the fact that it's a one off with a story but I would consider it a better value if I didn't have so much into it. I'm probably into it for around $800 (that's about average for most of my bolt-on solidbody guitars) considering the PU change and various setups. I'm deducting some value points for this. However, I'm finally very happy with it and don't foresee selling it. I think G&Ls in general are some of the very best values in new guitars today.