spiv

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

I've played through this amp with an Ibanez S470, an Ibanez GSA60, and a Yamaha 120SD. All guitars sound great through it, and maintain their own respective sounds. I play mostly old-school thrash, with some blues mixed in. The models on the amp give more than enough choices for getting the tone I'm after for a particular band or song. The amp gets a little noisy on the high-gain channels with the volume cranked, but there is a built-in noisegate that takes care of it well enough for me. The sounds that this amp can make have made me wonder why I spent $2000 on my Dual Rec. While it doesn't hit the sound exactly, it gets pretty darn close. The Marshall sound in here is dead on, whether it's for the 70s, 80s, or Modern setting. It brings back memories of the JCM900 I used to have. For players looking for a more laid-back sound, the AD50VT delivers. The AC15 and AC30 settings are perfect for that late Beatles overdrive, and the Marshall 70s or Tweed are perfect for that heart-wrenching smooth blues tone. It's a little hard to get a clean clean sound from this amp, but with the Boutique clean and backing off the gain it is possible. Overall, this is a very good sounding amp for $350.

I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but being a solid-state amp there's not much in it that can break. Regardless, it seems very well-built and solid enough to withstand some abuse.

General Comments

I've been playing guitar for about 9 years now, and this is the most satisified I've been with a guitar amp. In the past I've owned a DOD G6 practice amp, a Marshall JCM900 Dual Hi-Gain, and a Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King. Think of this amp as the solid-state version of the Road King. Great sounds possible, just not the tube response. I compared it while shopping to the Line6 Spider II and the Flextone III, and the Tech21 Trademark 60. I also played a bunch of other amps in the store which I never considered buying (Behringer, Marshall AVT, Crate). The Vox blew the Line6 out of the water when it came to sounding like the amps it modeled. The Tech21 somehow managed to get a tube response with a solid-state amp, but it couldn't deliver on the gain, and it didn't model as many amps and had no built-in effects.

If Vox added either a third channel or a solo boost this amp would be perfect. As it is it's still quite a good amp for $350. Feel free to email me with any questions. paistss@hotmail.com

\m/