When I first bought it over 8 years ago, I was using a cheap Lotus dual humbucker solid body with the GSP-5 plugged into my home stereo. I still have the same cheap Lotus, but now I'm running it into a Carvin powered mixer. The GSP sounds clean both ways. The distortion effects are a bit metallic, not anywhere close to a tube overdrive sound, but not terribly bad. The preset chorus reverb effects in the 91-98 range are awesome. You really need to run this thing through a stereo amp to appreciate all it's capabilities, such as the flanger, and stereo ping-pong effects.

I bought it at least 8 years ago, and have used it alot. So far (knock on wood) it hasn't let me down.

General Comments

I play mostly blues based rock and some alternative/progressive stuff. The chorus reverb presets sound great for doing ELP or Boston acoustic stuff, there's a distorted preset at 35 that I like to use for a heavier sound like the main Aqualung riff. I've since bought a Crybaby that really smooths out the distortion sustain to give it an _almost_ tube like quality. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably go out and buy another one, but not without checking up on the newer stuff that's out now.