jef--zjS8

Gretsch Guitars G5120 Electromatic Hollow Body with Dual-Coil Pickups

Well, i liked it at first, due to being new to hollow bodies and being smitten with the difference. But after a not so long while, i really stopped being enchanted with it. The pickups are rather uninspiring - of course you can go at replacing them and whatnot, but i prefer it when stock pickups where actually nicer. So you get a rather standard humbuckersound, nothing special. Acoustically, it has a pretty tinny sound, i don't think you could do anything with it (unless you're after a special effect of course). Feedback is an issue, but what do you expect?

The strap buttons were quite fine indeed, and the guitar never let me down. I was not so enthusiast about using it live, due to feedback, so it only served for a couple of songs.

General Comments

I've been playing for about 8 years, with quite a bit of gigging (though mainly on bass). I've scaled my gear down quite a bit right now, but i've been through a fair bit of good guitars and amps. I used this Gretsch mainly with a Fender Princeton silverface amp and a Roland Jazz Chorus. Overall, it did not really impress me. It looks rather nice, but it does not exude a feeling of 'quality'. It plays well, but sounds rather dull. I ended up selling it and now own a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, a guitar that costs about the same, exudes heaps of quality, sounds very good acoustically and has a brilliant pickup. I recommend trying one of those out if you're in the market for the Electromatic. Sure, it does not have Gretsch written on it, but it might surprise you