Ede-M.dad

epiphone Valve Junior Tube Amplifier Head

Used with the matching VJr cab and Vovox drive speaker cable. Guitars: early 90ies Fender American Standard Stratocaster, 67' Guild Starfire III and Ibanez AK105SM. Very noisy from 12 o'clock, unbearable noise from 3 o'clock. Didn't matter to me because for home use more than 9 o'clock was just too loud. I was looking for a nice tubey clean sound anyway. It came with EHX 12AX7 and Sovtek EL84 tubes, I changed them to JJs which was an improvement in sound, not in noise. The sound is nice and tubey but incredibly thin with no body at all. Sounds like an old pre ww2 radio (a good one though). You can get used to it if you don't use any other gear. But every time you switch back from a 'real' amp it will make you frown badly. If you get used to it, the tubes are fun. Lots of harmonics and very direct. For that, as a practice amp it will make you a better player. Real low volume is possible but the tubes will not deliver their nice harmonics. You need to go to at least 9 o'clock before that happens and depending on your right hand technique this will already be too loud for use in an appartment. I cannot comment on higher volume settings for I never used them.

I've ordered it online. The first one I received didn't work, I had to return it. The second one did work but after three weeks I sold it again. Therfore I cannot comment on longtime reliability. I probably wouldn't gig without a backup.

General Comments

All in all, it was a huge disappointment. I had fun with the tube sound for a while but in long terms couldn't stand the thin sound. It is called 'Junior' for a reason: young players may have fun with it but if you're a little more experienced and know your tone, go and look somewhere else.