Mikk

DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal

For guitar I'm using a PRS SE Soapbar II with Jason Lollar P90's. That's plugged into the Bad Monkey and then right into the amp. Got a Boss DD-3 Delay going into the effects loop. Weber Beam Blocker across the stock Peavey speaker and an Eminance Cannibus Rex used as an extension. All gets LOUD as hell, too. As I mentioned it took no time at all to get a good sound going with the Bad Monkey. Finally, an OD pedal with a bass knob!! I've tried a number of OD's throughout the years and my first thought upon trying those pedals was always the same: not enough bass. The added bass knob alone is one of the things that makes this such a good pedal. It's very hard to describe a sound and what works for one guy may not work for another. There's enough mids in the pedal to push it out without being obnoxious. Thru my amp the mids come across as "darker" but without being muffled or nasal sounding. The treble is nice, clear and crisp and can really cut thru if you turn it up all the way. The bass control fills it all out. Nothing lacking there at all. The drive itself isn't spikey or buzzy at all. It just seems to have a nice "earthiness" to it that doesn't cover up you playing when playing chords. It seems to respond very well to changes with your guitars volume knob. Much better so than with all the other OD's I've tried. I know this is very subjective, but this pedal thru my setup works very well for Allman Brothers, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen II.....things of that nature. When I play I don't try to nail someones tone "exact." I know some people are obsessed with trying to do so but I don't have the time for that. Just give me something that will be a close 2nd, somewhere in the ballpark that sounds good and I'm a happy camper. For what I like to hear this pedal has finally gotten me there.

Seems very well built but I guess time will tell.

General Comments

Overall I really don't see how one could go wrong with the Bad Monkey. I have'nt tried everything out there and I'm sure there are other pedals out there that have more of a detailed complexity that so many tone mongers are searching for. And while nothing is perfect some things are better than others and so far the Bad Monkey is the best sounding OD pedal that I have found to date. It works very well with my setup for those "Marshall moments" better than any other pedal I've tried. And for only $40.00 how can you go wrong?